Working in childcare  » Job  »
  • I also had the pleasure of working with children with special needs, which gave me invaluable experience
  • You maybe thinking I am mad, and if you are then I wouldn't recommend working with children

• by eveeee

If you have patience, a firm but fair nature, a sense of humour and love children then working with young children is an ideal job for you. I started off training in the United Kingdom by enrolling on a level 3 childcare course, and I am currently doing my level 4. Whilst on my level 3 course, I had the chance to sample a variety of work with children doing student placements, and some bank work for a couple of local day nurseries. I also had the pleasure of working with children with special needs, which gave me invaluable experience.

Once I enrolled I started in a full day care nursery caring for children aged 4 months up to 10 years in the after school club. I have been there now for over 5 years and have progressed from nursery assistant all the way up to Deputy manager. My role has included

everything from changing nappies and cleaning toilets and sick, feeding messy babies and toddlers, calming screaming children and dealing with temper tantrums, administering basic first aid and sweeping and mopping at the end of the day. Even though I am now a manager I still love to be out there in the thick of it, and will always be there to do any of the above jobs. You maybe thinking I am mad, and if you are then I wouldn’t recommend working with children.

If however you still have an interest then I will go on to mention the upsides of the job. Children are wonderful to work with and keep you feeling young at heart. They are like sponges, ready to constantly absorb information and it gives a nice feeling to know that you have given this information for them to absorb. They will struggle and struggle with something, and then ...

• one day, bingo! They suddenly understand something or are able to do something new, and to see the wonder on their faces and know that I have been part of it, makes the job worthwhile.

You will need to be able to put up with noise, crying, screaming and tantrums. But at the same time you will hear laughter and the sounds of children having fun and playing.

Part of a nursery assistant or nurses job is to ensure that each and every child is made to feel welcome, and their needs are always met. Do this for them and they will be able to develop to their full potential, and be ready to move on to their next stage in life when they leave.

In the UK, you can work with children either in your own home as a childminder or in a pre school day nursery or school. You could

also work in hospitals or other health organisations. Whichever area you chose, you would be required to undertake training. Childcare settings especially like to ensure that all of their staff either hold or are working towards and appropriate qualification. Once in a setting then there will be continuous professional development, by going on higher level courses and short training courses to ensure that skills are always kept up to date.

I would have to mention that in most areas it is a low paid job, despite the fact that the childcare role is both demanding and highly responsible, where staff are classed as professionals.

However I would highly recommend going into childcare as long as you are not afraid of hard work as it is fun and certainly rewarding with job satisfaction. Through this type of work, you will have the chance to really make an impact on the children of our futures lives.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 63108457900131/k2311a0831/8.31.08