Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest (2006)
  • I love her character, and she makes the movie that much better, in my eyes
  • What I dislike about her, however, is the fact that she seems to still be eye candy, like the first movie
  • Well, Dead Man's Chest does an amazing job with choice of location and scenery
  • It looks great and definitely lured me into the movie

• by Justin Woodward

As the second installment in one of my favorite trilogies, Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest is an exciting movie that everyone will love. The cast is one of my favorite. For starters, Johnny Depp returns as Captain Jack Sparrow. He is on a search to find the heart of Davy Jones in order to control the sea. Depp is one my favorite actors. He portrays his character so well, despite the differences from his actual self. This is a very big positive about Johnny Depp. He had me entertained throughout the entire movie, with absolutely zero flaws.

Another great cast was Keira Knightley returning again as Elizabeth Swann. I love her character, and she makes the movie that much better, in my eyes. What I dislike about her, however, is the fact that she seems to still be “eye candy,” like the first movie. I also didn’t like how she lost her ability to hold my attention. Still, a decent job for a decent actress. But let’s now forget about orlando Bloom. He’s back as William Turner. Excluding the occasional laugh I would let

out from a funny Bloom line, he doesn’t seem to fit the character as well in the second movie. There is something about him that doesn’t click the way it should. A great effort by a decent actor, but I personally did not like him very much in Dead Man’s Chest.

Turning away from the negatives for a minute, Jack Davenport is back as Norrington. Although he is no longer Commodore, after losing his command quite some time ago while chasing Jack Sparrow, he still gets the job done. He is my second favorite character in this film. I can never understand how Davenport acts so well with all of the characters he takes on. To me, Norrington was a perfect portrayal for the movie as a whole. Also, Bill Nighy is playing Davy Jones. This is exciting as well. His character is 100% believable. I fell in love with the Davy Jones “persona” because it was unique and made you think about the movie more than any other character. A great job by both of these actors.

The next aspect of this movie that made me ...

• love it were the costumes. Each costume was uniquely designed to fit the characters perfectly. My absolute favorite was Davy Jones. While some of it was obviously computer-generated, the base model was actually designed with costume. This seemed almost unbelievable until I saw the DVD. Another wonderful costume is the obvious Jack Sparrow. Like in the previous pirates movie, Johnny Depp is dressed head to toe in the most unique clothing you could imagine. This really makes the character believable in many different ways.

But what is a movie review without mentioning the scenery? Well, Dead Man’s Chest does an amazing job with choice of location and scenery. Every single scene had me at the edge of my seat (again) because I was so entertained. During an island scene, the perfect use of tropical trees and bushes was put into place. It was combined with an amazing ocean shot that I also fell in love with. Another great location is a second viewing of Port Royal. It looks even better than before, as the main scenes at this location were at night. It looks great and

definitely lured me into the movie.

The beginning of the movie started out strong, as I was interested to see where they would go with the story. As the movie progressed, I still felt the same way, which is rare in a Disney movie. Usually the climax will fail miserably, but all of the Pirates movies seem to hold your attention throughout the movie entirely. I love the fighting scenes near the climax of this movie, too. Instead of fighting the majority of fights with pirates, two major ones take place against the ocean. My absolute favorite part of the movie was one of these fights.

Overall, an amazing film. One of the very few movies that could hold my attention in its entirety. From the character portrayal to the locations, everything in this film amazed me. This is definitely a movie most people would want to see as soon as possible. It seperates itself from the first by giving you a more unique story. But no Pirates will ever compare to the start, in my eyes. A well deserved 8/10 for a fun and enjoyable movie!

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest (2006)

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 113108457520131/k2311a0831/8.31.08