The White Star, Stoke-on-Trent
63 Kingsway, Stoke-on-Trent, ST4 1JB United Kingdom Telephone +441782 848732
  • There is a Captain Smith ale but that was only available in bottle and at a hopping 5+% I thought it better left
  • All in all I would recommend this pub if you're looking for a civilised drinking spot pre-dinner or theatre

• by Noot54

Okay, we had an hour to kill before our booking at the Sangam Balti curry house, the subject of a previous review by this writer. The White Star is a large pub/restaurant located at the end of Kingsway near to Stoke-on-Trent town centre.

Now it’s called the White Star as it’s the flagship pub of the microbrewery, Titanic, which is located in

Burslem, Stoke-on-Trent.

White Star - Titanic, geddit?

It’s a fabulous old building and the decor is tastefully modern but retains the olde worlde charm of the place.

Everything as you might imagine has a Titanic theme, and again the link is that Captain Smith was born in Hanley,, Stoke-on-Trent.

There is an extensive pub food menu but we were a bit surp[rised ...

• to see many items were crossed off the nicely printed and presented menu.

It was the ‘real’ ale that was the prime attraction for me, ishing to sample it pre-curry.

I had two pints of the White Star ale, a poerful golden brew weighing in at 4.

8% which is quite hefty.

There is a Captain Smith ale but that was only available

in bottle and at a hopping 5+% I thought it better left.

It is said to ‘go down well’ if you’ll pardon the pun.

All in all I would recommend this pub if you’re looking for a civilised drinking spot pre-dinner or theatre.

The character and charm come through, and on the Friday night we were there they had live music scheduled for later in the evening.

Points out of ten, I’d say an easy eight.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 72908456931131/k2311a0829/8.29.08