Plimoth Plantation in Plymouth Massachusetts
137 Warren Avenue, Plymouth, MA 02360 USA
  • But, Plimoth Plantation stands out as one of the best, most historically educational and interesting experiences I've ever had
  • The entire experience takes place outside, where they have set up a settlement as accurate to the original as they possibly can
  • When I went, I bought a reproduction of the Mayflower compact, specifically designed to look like it was written on weathered parchment, and having an authentic reproduction of the original authors handwriting, and the signatures that accompanied the document

• by pangeacat

My aunt lives in Massachusetts, so I’ve been out there a number of times. The entire state is rich with History, what with it being the place that the Mayflower landed and all.

But, Plimoth Plantation stands out as one of the best, most historically educational and interesting experiences I’ve ever had.

You get a chance to go back in time, as it were, when you visit this place. The entire experience takes place outside, where they have set up a “settlement” as accurate to the original as they possibly can. The “village” (I guess

you might call it) is filled with actors who play their perspective parts, as though they really were in the 17th century. As an example, they aren’t allowed to acknowledge video cameras, or anything else that wouldn’t have been present in the 17th century.

You can talk to these characters, asking them questions about what life is like in their time, and listening to their stories about the “17th century experiences” they have had. When I was there, the woman who was playing the mayor’s wife, told us of the Indians who attended her “wedding” ...

• and what that was like for her. These guys have really done their homework, and it all seems real!

As you make your way through the plantation, you’ll also come across an Indian village, just down from the settlers village, with more actors playing the parts of the tribe that saved the settlers from almost certain death on that first Thanksgiving.

There’s a souvenir shop in the visitors center type place. When I went, I bought a reproduction of the Mayflower compact, specifically designed to look like it was written on weathered parchment, and having an

authentic reproduction of the original authors handwriting, and the signatures that accompanied the document.

I had a lot of fun, learned a lot more than I ever thought I would want to know (I was wrong, by the way, I DID want to know), and had a truly awe-inspiring experience while I was there.

I can’t even describe how interesting it is to talk to these people, and really feel like you’re back in time at the original settlement. The stories they tell are so intricate and intriguing. And, the entire experience is one I will never forget.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 382808454920131/k2311a0828/8.28.08