Street Fairie CD by Cree Summer
  • My favorite song on the album is Fall -an extremely clever take on the seasons' changing

• by Famous
      Anyone who’s seen the show “A Different World” (hit 1987 spinoff of sitcom, “The Cosby Show”) probably remembers the earthy, bohemian airhead named Freddy. Her real name is Cree Summer, and when you hear her slightly whiny, yet melodic voice on her debut album “Street Fairie“, you’ll recall exactly who she is. I happened upon this CD by accident.

I saw it in a

store, and had no idea that she even sang. Without taking a listen first, I immediately bought it, just because I was intrigued.

Her musical style mimics to the “T”, her holistic personality on the sitcom. But as I continued to listen, I read the credits and realized that Lenny Kravitz produced the album.

The pairing (his production, and her vocal energy) is ...

• a match made in Heaven. The first song on the album, “Revelation Sunshine” sets off the mood of the CD.

She adds her own brand of edge on the powerful social commentary song, “Curious White Boy”. This song is filled with crunchy guitar riffs, and surprisingly-an intricate display of vocal ability on Cree’s part.

She tackles a lot of tough subjects like racism,

and emotional hardship, through the poetry of her lyrics. My favorite song on the album is “Fall”-an extremely clever take on the seasons’ changing.

It’s too bad that Sony dropped Cree Summer shortly after the release of the album. She’s truly an underrated singer, who I would have loved to see more of.

If you don’t own this album, Get It.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2006. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1480445300330/k2311a048/4.8.06