Veronica Mars Season 1 Episode 1  » TV  »
  • Of course, as with any pilot episode, there were some kinks that needed to be worked out and character traits that didn't really pan out as they were established, but as a part of the greater (and I mean greater) part of the show, they were insignificant

• by Slyboots

*Spoilers Ahoy* I bought the first season of Veronica Mars on DVD because I’d heard from so many people how good it was. Magazines, Newspapers and blogs were all putting it on their “best of the year” lists, even horror writer/god Steven King was a fan. In fact, I didn’t hear a single negative thing about that show.

All the same, when I sat down and started watching it, I did so with an open mind, as I try to do whenever I watch anything new. It’s always best not to let outside opinions influence your

own.

Needless to say, I started watching the show on a Friday and did nothing else the entire weekend. I watched the whole first season pretty much straight through to the end; I couldn’t help it, I was sucked in from the very first episode.

And what a first episode it is! We are introduced to our heroine, Veronica Mars (played to perfection by Kristen Bell) while she is staking out a cheating husband. The show brilliantly sets up the characters and the dynamics between the characters and establishes the way in which the storylines and ...

• relationships can evolve.

The pilot episode is always the most important episode of any show, it works out the ways in which the story is being told, and in Veronica Mars it’s often through a very Raymond Chandler-esque voiceover. In this, we know that the show is going to be different, film noir-ish but with a young, pretty girl as it’s hard hitting detective.

And we are hit with the mystery right up front: The murder of Veronica’s best friend Lily Kane. We also know that Lily’s Kane’s brother was Veronica’s boyfriend and that their relationship

ended badly, that Veronica’s mother has disappeared and that Veronica was the victim of a horrible crime. That is four mysteries in one episode, but they all feed into each other, don’t crowd each other.

Of course, as with any pilot episode, there were some kinks that needed to be worked out and character traits that didn’t really pan out as they were established, but as a part of the greater (and I mean greater) part of the show, they were insignificant. A great start to one of the greatest, most under appreciated shows of all time.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 102608452201131/k2311a0826/8.26.08