Melatonin  » Medicine  »
  • The good thing about these being over the counter is that you do not have to wait for a doctor's appointment in order to solve a sleeping problem
  • I think the worst I found with this is probably that one or two other people I have spoken to said that it did not work for them, but that was it
  • I would absolutely recommend this to anyone who has trouble getting to sleep at night

• by KatieLynn

My roommate was the first person who turned me on to melatonin. I had never heard of the stuff before this; it was a night at the beginning of the year and of course, being freshmen in college we were excited about being in a new place and we had issues getting to sleep after being so wound up at night. I would always feel guilty going into my allergy, cold and flu supply of Benadryl and Tylenol PM to take before bed just so that I could get to sleep at night. Finally, she offered me a little tablet and I asked what it was. She told me that it was melatonin, and that if I took one before bed it would help be get to sleep and stay asleep better

in a more natural way. I figured that it could not hurt anymore than the Benadryl, so I gave it a try.

The good: You can buy a bottle of melatonin tablets over the counter for somewhere around $10.00 per bottle. That really is not that expensive, considering how many of these tablets you can get in a bottle and also considering the fact that you probably will not have to use them every night. The good thing about these being over the counter is that you do not have to wait for a doctor’s appointment in order to solve a sleeping problem; I say if you can handle it yourself, then it’s better than going to a doctor. Another great stuff about melatonin is that, because it is a hormone ...

• naturally released by your body when you sleep, it does not have any negative side effects that the histamines in Tylenol PMs and Nyquil, etcetera. For example, when I wake up in the morning I do not have a groggy feeling, like my head is stuck in a fog; nor do I wake up with a headache or dizziness like I would with some of those other “sleep aids.” It helps you fall into a natural sleep, so that by the time you actually do fall asleep you have forgotten that you even took a tablet! It usually takes about a half an hour to forty-five minutes to kick in, and then I begin to feel sleepy a natural kind of sleepy, not an exhausted, drugged sort of feeling.

The

Bad: To be perfectly honest, I did not find anything bad about melatonin. It is perfectly natural and it comes in different dosages so depending on your level on insomnia, you can take whichever dosage suits you. I think the “worst” I found with this is probably that one or two other people I have spoken to said that it did not work for them, but that was it.

The verdict: I would absolutely recommend this to anyone who has trouble getting to sleep at night. If you do not want to automatically resort to OTC “sleep aids” like Nyquil (which is so unhealthy), nor do you want to have to have a doctor give you a prescription that you’ll have to pay $20.00 for, I would say to try this before anything else.

Melatonin

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 262508451740531/k2311a0825/8.25.08