Ybor City State Museum
1818 E. 9th Avenue, Tampa, Florida tel (813)247-6363
  • I have visited the museum several times and enjoyed it each time
  • If you are familiar with Ybor City, you know that Cuban bread is important and the good thing about the museum being in a converted bakery is that you can actually look in and experience the ovens that traditionally baked the bread
  • I recommend that you contact the museum beforfe visiting to see when they have the cigar roller demonstrating how to actually handroll cigars in the traditional manner
  • I found that a treat not to be missed if you can help it
  • When I visited the museum, the adult admission price was $3 and I thought that it was well worth the money

• by deem

If you are wondering why the Ybor City State Museum is located in the city of Tampa, it is because Ybor City is not a city; it is an historic neighborhood located in Tampa that was originally settled by Spanish, Cuban, Italian, and Siciliam immigrants. The cigar industry played an important part in the economic vitality of the neighborhood in its heyday. The Ybor City State Museum is small, but well represents the history of Ybor City.

I have visited the museum several times and enjoyed it each time. The museum consists of three parts: the museum building itself that is located in a converted bakery and that contains the actual exhibits, a “casita” that is a restored cigar worker’s “shotgun” style house from the turn of the 20th century, and a connecting garden

with Florida vegetation.

When I visited I enjoyed seeing the regular exhibits that include photographs, artifacts and other informtation about the cigar industry, the social clubs, and the demographics and lifestyle of the people who settled in Ybor City. However, the museum has some exhibits that are not regular, but change a couple of times a year, and I particularly enjoyed the exhibit that emphasized the women and children of the area by displaying fine handiwork such as embroidery and crocheting as well as children’s toys.

If you are familiar with Ybor City, you know that Cuban bread is important and the good thing about the museum being in a converted bakery is that you can actually look in and experience the ovens that traditionally baked the bread. I recommend that you contact the museum ...

• beforfe visiting to see when they have the cigar roller demonstrating how to actually handroll cigars in the traditional manner.

I found that a treat not to be missed if you can help it. In addition, I recommend that you take a guided tour of the casita which is offered periodically throughout the day.

My daughter and I both enjoyed the information provided by the guide about the house and its contents. Because the museum is not large, you can probably see it in about 1 to 1-1/2 hours, including the casita and even a rest in the garden if you desire, depending on whether you stop to see the cigar roller.

The museum is sufficiently accessible and has enough variety of exhibits that both adults and children can enjoy it, though it is

not a “children’s museum”. When I visited the museum, the adult admission price was $3 and I thought that it was well worth the money.

It includes the museum proper, the casita, and the small garden. I understand that a guided walking tour of the neighborhood is available on Saturdays for $6 that includes the museum complex admission also, but I have not personally taken the tour.

However, because the museum is located on 9th Avenue, it is only a couple of blocks from 7th Avenue which is the “main street” in Ybor City. If you visit the museum, I recommend that you stroll or drive to 7th Avenue to enjoy the shops and restaurants, especially.

After all, you do not want to just learn about Cuban bread, you want to actually eat it as well!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 592508450520331/k2311a0825/8.25.08