Safari Park Vergel  » Travel  »
2.5
Ctra. CV 700 Vergel-Pego Km 65, 03770 El Vergel.
  • Now the cost of this part of the park would be very reasonable for, say, a family of two adults and two children, because everything is priced separately and you can choose what you want to partake in
  • Maybe my concept of expensive, being a resident here, is slightly different to a tourists but, in my opinion, it is way too expensive

• by Denise

As I actually live on the Costa Blanca, I have visited many so called attractions offered to holiday makers to this region. As an animal lover, I felt drawn to the Safari Park at Vergel, near Denia. The Safari itself opens at 10am and is open every day.

It houses 1400 animals of 145 different species in a natural park. It also has a walk around area with cafeterias and picnic areas.

There are lots of sideshows, like the seal show, the parrot show, and a facility where they let you swim with the seals. These are fun but are priced separately from the actual Safari.

There are also

boats to hire on a lake, a little train ride for the kids, go carts and trampolines. This can be a nice day out in itself, if you can find some shade during the midday hours.

Now the cost of this part of the park would be very reasonable for, say, a family of two adults and two children, because everything is priced separately and you can choose what you want to partake in. Now we come to the actual Safari, round which you can drive or, alternatively, you can walk around the open sections of the park, which are split into themed areas.

There is Iberian fauna, African birds,

• Asiatic and oceanic fauna, large herbivores and more. All of the walkways are separated by canals or wooden barriers, and locking passageways in which you are safe from the wildlife.

The cost, for a family of four, would work out to over 60€, which for a two hour tour around a “junglish” type place, in order to see maybe 30 animals. Maybe my concept of expensive, being a resident here, is slightly different to a tourists but, in my opinion, it is way too expensive.

I do appreciate that the animals need to be cared for, fed and vets bills paid, but I do think they would get more visitors

if the price were lower. I took a camera with me and didn’t even get 20 pictures, I saw a variety of probably 15 species, and not many actual animals in those groups.

I saw one lion, one tiger (out in the wild) a few buffalo, some deer, a zebra or two and a few species of monkeys and apes. The caged (zoo like) area seems to have more animals that the open space, and you can see the animals up close, but to me that goes totally against what a Safari Park is all about.

All in all, a reasonable day out for the family, but be prepared to dig deep into your pockets.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 382408447421131/k2311a0824/8.24.08