Dish Network
1.0
Wisconsin, USA
  • I chose DirecTV because they had what I considered the best programming for the best value
  • Cable and DirecTV each have equal advantages and disadvantages, but Dish Network is horrendous

• by polgeram

I have been a subscriber to cable TV for 6 years, DirecTV for 2 years, and now am with Dish Network. Of all of them, I like DirecTV the most.

Cable TV is very reliable. I subscribed to ComCast, the only cable service available in my town. They were very expensive, even for Basic programming, and raised the rates approximately every 6 months.

It was very frustrating, but I liked the micro-local programming, especially the updates on local events, severe weather notices and especially the local weather on the 8s from the Weather Channel.

I was forced to switch to satellite when I moved out to the country where there is no cable service. I chose DirecTV because they had what I considered the best programming for the best value. It was easy to change programming packages, and the remotes/satellite boxes were easy to use. Occasionally I had issues with signal loss during storms.

I switched to Dish Network because DirecTV had gotten too expensive. It’s frustrating that “special values” are only given to new customers, not to existing customers. Dish Network has been a disappointment from day 1.

• Dish Network
      First, we had to call customer service because even my teenage son tech guru couldn’t figure out how to hook up his PS2. Our main TV cannot be recorded from because the satellite box is remote controlled to a different room (in order to save $5 monthly on having to have another box). Each menu on our 3 TV’s is different.
      There are frequent outages even for the most minor rain storms. The remote we use on the main TV goes through a fresh set of batteries weekly. Finally, a telephone hook up is required.

Cable and DirecTV each have equal advantages and disadvantages, but Dish Network is horrendous. I cannot wait to move in two months and no longer have to be with them.

Dish Network
MikeL DISH says :

I saw your post, polgeram, and wanted to check in with you. I understand you`ve been through a few issues with our service. As far as the confusion about to hook up the PS2 console to the TV, you can either call Sony, who is the manufacturer of the PS2, or do a Google search for the instructions. In regards to your remote control going through an excessive number of batteries and your main TV not being able to record, you probably need a replacement sent to you, which I would be more than happy to do What you can also do is press the System Info on your receiver box and follow the instructions on the following link to get the new remote addressed to your receiver . When you first pull up the page via that link, make sure you select the correct model receiver that you have, which is located on the front panel of the receiver in the bottom left corner. What I recommend for the signal issues you`ve been having is unplugging the power cord of the receiver from the wall for at least 15 seconds, then plugging it back in. This will allow the receiver to reset itself and regain both your account programming information and your signal. Let me know if that works and I would be happy to assist further if it doesn`t Mike LeMar DISH Network Executive Offices

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 232208446311031/k2311a0822/8.22.08