Horse Creek Campground  » Travel  »
State Rt. 107 east of Greenville, Tn
  • The first thing I noticed was the babling brook that we crossed a small bridge over to enter the park
  • It cost eight dollars a night which is not too bad by my standards

• by sadonna

Over the memorial day holiday we decided to go to DollyWood. We decided we would camp out at a national forestry campground because they are usually either free or cheap. Our choice was Horse Creek Campground which is located on state route 107 about six miles east of Greenville, Tn. It was a very small campground compared to most others I have stayed at in the past.

The first thing I noticed was the babling brook that we crossed a small bridge over to enter the park. As you turn in you see a block building

with bathrooms and then a small patch of trees then a picnic area. Then you see the sign in or registration board.

You must register and pay in a box by the honor system. It cost eight dollars a night which is not too bad by my standards. A small thin strip of woods blocks the campground road from the main road.

The campground is a loop with aproximately seven sites. Each site has a pinic talbe and fire ring with grill. They also have a post to hang a lantern from and tent pads.

Some ...

• of the sites were smaller than others making it difficult to set up more than one tent. The first night we stayed in site one. The second night we stayed in site five on top of the hill overlooking site one.

There was a shortcut trail that lead from this campsite directly to the bathrooms. They did not have showeres in the bathrooms but they were flush toilets with a sink to wash your hands. Site one had a water spigot right next to it but site five had one across the room.

There was an

abundance of downed wood to make a fire with just enough trees between sites to make them somewhat secluded and offer some privacy. The park was clean and pretty much empty when we arrived. I saw a couple of guys cutting grass and cleaning the restroooms the last day we were there so they do maintain it pretty well.

They have bear proof trash cans located in two places to keep bears from getting into them. Overall it is a nice peacefull place to visit. We did not stay long enough to do any hiking though.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 382108445301231/k2311a0821/8.21.08