Jennie Wade House Museum, Gettysburg, Pennsylvania
548 Baltimore Street, Gettysburg, Pennsylvania
  • I love photographing and touring these old structures, some of which were standing ninety years before the battle began
  • I enjoyed the Civil War-era furniture and how meticulously each bed was made and each item was positioned
  • The cellar is cold, damp, and dreary, but made interesting by the adjoining room where photos of so-called ghostly encounters are hung
  • I would definitely recommend this tour to anyone who loves the Battle of Gettysburg, history in general, or ghost-hunting

• by Lacie

Gettysburg, Pennsylvania is like my home-away-from-home. I’ve visited so often that I’m learning every street, every nook and cranny, and, of course, every historic home. Gettysburg, the small town made famous by the epic battle of July 1863, has many old homes that were built before the battle.

I love photographing and touring these old structures, some of which were standing ninety years before the battle began! One of my favorite historic homes is the Jennie Wade House Museum. Located next to Holiday Inn Battlefield, a huge, sprawling hotel, the Jennie Wade House (jointly owned during the battle by the McClain

and McClellan families) is a reminder of simpler times.

The Jennie Wade House was turned into a museum decades ago and is one of the town’s best attractions for old house enthusiasts. It is a small red-brick building with a statue of Jennie Wade, the young woman who was the only civilian killed during the battle. The home was occupied by Jennie’s sister Georgia in 1863. I enjoyed the tour; the guide was very knowledgeable, sharing tidbits about the house’s history and those battle days.

After an initial introduction, we were free to explore the house on our own. We entered through ...

• the door next to the gift shop exit and started in the McClellan parlor. The Jennie Wade House furnishings are all from the Victorian era, and the small, cheery rooms are made even more pleasant by the period wallpaper in various patterns. In the kitchen, we saw where the bullet that killed Jennie came through two exterior doors.

Upstairs are the McClellan bedrooms; we climbed through the huge hole in the wall that was made during the battle. This is how you get to the McClain side of the house. I enjoyed the Civil War-era furniture and how meticulously each bed was

made and each item was positioned. Given the penchant for “spirit activity” that the Jennie Wade House supposedly has, I was really pushing my luck when I walked through the house wearing my authentic Civil War gown and hoop skirt!

Once the tour through the house was finished, we went down into the cellar to see where Jennie’s body was taken. The cellar is cold, damp, and dreary, but made interesting by the adjoining room where photos of so-called ghostly encounters are hung. I would definitely recommend this tour to anyone who loves the Battle of Gettysburg, history in general, or ghost-hunting.

Joe Hutchinson says :

I have a 9×12 book no cover with no date printed. Pages are stapled together. Front page has Historic Views of Gettysburg in larger dark black print, middle of page has ILLUSTRATIONS IN HALF-TONE OF ALL THE IMPORTANT VIEWS AND HISTORICAL PLACES ON THE GETTYSBURG BATTLEFIELD, the bottom of the page has Published By Jennie Wade Museum, Gettysburg, PA., J.L. Mumper Custodian. Can you give me any information on when this was published and if it is still in print. Thanks

mary rutledge says :

my self and my sister have been going to jennie wade house for over 13years.and every time we going we get things on picture.we were there on july 11th 09 and i would like to send a piture but i dont know were to send it.can you help me thank you mry rutledge my e-mail is dragon703 comcast .net

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 382108444551031/k2311a0821/8.21.08