Hatteras Island The Outer Banks NC  » Travel  »
Outer Banks, North Carolina
  • We've tried to get there as often as possible in the past 7 years, but unfortunately, we couldn't do it every year either due to finances or job restrictions, but it is still and always will be our go to place for relaxation

• by Why Georgia

My husband and I have been going on vacation to the Outer Banks of North Carolina for 7 years now. In the past, we always spent our vacations visiting family in Rhode Island or Virginia or when we lived up North, taking our kids to Florida to visit family or do the whole Theme park thing. We never took a vacation by ourselves simply to go see/do something new for the sake of exploring and enjoying ourselves; for the sake of simply relaxing together. I, being an avid travel researcher, travel agent wannabe, had done a good deal of reading about the Outer Banks and I had mentioned it to my husband many times. Finally, when our kids had all grown and we were living in

Florida, we decided to go for it one year and we booked a vacation house right on the beach on Hatteras Island in the Outer Banks. It was a beautiful house with all the ammenities you’d ever need; more than we really needed to be honest!

We arrived on a Satuday and spent one glorious week, exploring the island, preparing fresh seafood dinners with flounder we bought right off the boat, barbequing on the deck, and just laying off in the sunshine relaxing and being out of touch with the workaday world.

Thankfully, we discovered that cell phone reception was not too good there and believe me, that suited me just fine. I had brought a portable stereo with me and had brought a huge box of mixed ...

• CD’s of all of our all time favorite songs. We even got to bring our pack of Chihuahuas! (They just loved laying out on the deck sunning themselves!) We made sure to get a vacation house that had a hot tub and that became our nightly ritual. After a relaxing day of the beach, sightseeing, tanning and enjoying great music and food, we’d slip into the hot tub and let all the worries of the world slip away in the moonlight.

We’ve tried to get there as often as possible in the past 7 years, but unfortunately, we couldn’t do it every year either due to finances or job restrictions, but it is still and always will be our “go to” place for relaxation. When we aren’t

there, we are dreaming about it all year long. Once you go, you’ll know what we mean. There is no other place on earth quite like it.

Hatteras Island, in particular is down the more laid back, quiet end of the banks. If you’re looking more for nightlife and more to do than enjoy the beach and peace and quiet, you should opt for the Northern area past Nagshead. But for us, Hatteras is perfect. We usually take the ferry over to Ocracoke Island of a day, which is another area that has a whole charm all unto itself.

The Outer Banks is not to be missed. My husband wants his ashes spread there when he passes away. We both hope to be able to retire there someday.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 382108444041031/k2311a0821/8.21.08