Lion Country Safari West Palm Beach FL  » Travel  »
West Palm Beach, Florida
  • My family and I recently visited a zoo unlike any other we have seen and it was an experience I highly recommend, to families as well as adults

• by spalladino

Florida is more than just beautiful beaches. My family and I recently visited a zoo unlike any other we have seen and it was an experience I highly recommend, to families as well as adults.

Lion Country Safari is a 300 acre cageless zoo where you can get up close and personal with the wide variety of animals and birds who live there. With the exception of the lion exhibit, which is contained by a 7 foot high fence that does not obstruct your view of the lions, there are no barriers between visitors and wildlife.

The preserve is divided into seven sections named after famous wildlife areas and national parks; Las Pampas, Rhuaha National Park, Kalahari Bushveldt, Gir Forest, Gorongosa Reserve, Serengeti Plains and Hwange National Park. According to the brochure we picked up, the preserve

is home to more than 900 animals, including Asiatic water buffalo, impalas, gazelles, ostriches, elephants, white rhinoceros, lions, zebras, chimpanzees and giraffes. These animals live in environments that resemble their natural habitats so watching them moving about is similar to going on a true African safari.

As I mentioned earlier, the safety fence did not obstruct our view of the many lions we saw, which were fairly active since we visited the park in the morning while temperatures were still comfortable. We were also able to see most of the wildlife mentioned in the brochure, our favorite being the elephants who seemed to be in a very good mood and who were fairly close. We also stopped for a while to watch a group of giraffes, some mothers with their young who were very ...

• cute. We opted to use our own vehicle for the tour but there are also vans available for rent. If you drive a convertible or do not have air conditioning in your vehicle, you’re going to have to rent a van since convertibles are not permitted in the park and windows must be kept rolled up at all times. They also provided us with a CD (cassettes are also available) to play while on the tour which was very entertaining and informative.

Lion Country Safari is open every day, including holidays, from 9:30am until 5:30pm. The tickets were reasonably priced at $22.99 for ages 10 to adult and $17.49 for ages 3 to 9. Children under 3 are free and there is a reduced rate for seniors age 65 and older. We didn’t know it

at the time but you can print a coupon at the website, www.lioncountrysafari.com. You can also save $5.00 per ticket by donating an old cell phone.

Your ticket entitles you to take the tour as many times as you like and also covers your admission to Safari World, the adjoining amusement park, which features a cafeteria, gift shops, alligator and monkey exhibits, a kiddie train that was a real hit with my grandsons, a water play area, ferris wheel and merry-go-round, giraffe feeding and petting zoo, boat rides and a putt-putt golf course.

All in all, we spent most of the day at Lion Country Safari and Safari World. The food in the cafeteria was resonably priced and good, everyone was very nice and the kids were never bored. The adults thought it was great fun, too!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 382008442980831/k2311a0820/8.20.08