Sony IC recorder ICD UX 80
  • I think it is a very nice deal and happen to own two of them

• by DANAisHERE

I have the Sony IC recorder, model number, ICD UX 80. This is a small handhold recording device about twice the size of a normal USB flash drive.

Now image a flash drive that not only plugs into the USB port of any computer to be used as an external memory device, but could also play mp3’s when connected through your computer or through headphones

when used as a stand alone mp3 player.

This flash drive also has stereo microphones built into it that are sensitive enough for you to play secret agent or just record a business meeting or open lecture.

With this device you can record your own voice well enough that a well known voice recognition software will accept it as a mp3 transcription file.

It comes in ...

• a variety of colors, depending on the size of the memory.

Specifically the one gig does come in black, which has a very professional looking appearance.

With reasonable power consumption, this recorder is small enough to use only one AAA battery.

I personally find it easier to carry extra batteries around than keeping up with the charger to keep this device working.

It has an external microphone

and headphones jack on the top along with a small speaker on the back if you need to let others hear your recordings.

While the display screen is small, it does scroll the mp3 titles and the file folders names for you to see.

All of this for around $125 US.

I think it is a very nice deal and happen to own two of them.

Sony IC recorder ICD UX 80
    Mike says :

I have a sony IC recorder ux81 I am recording interviews which when I played back on my computer came in a Wav file now for some unknown reason they are coming back in a Mp3 file how can I go back to my WAV file Mike

Galega says :

When you save the file, you just need to change the format to .WAV, and it will do so. You might have unknowingly turned it to MP3 and that’s why you are seeing this abnormality. You can easily change the format to .wav to those files which have already been downloaded.

DANAisHERE replies :

The sony UX 80 records files as MP3 only. I am not for sure why they started out as WAV files, but the files could be converted with a number of programs.

Galega says :

Saving files in .wav format will do the trick. There won’t be any problem after that.

Rich Drew says :

Dear DANAisHERE, I have this same ICD-UX80. I have inadvertently erased the files that interface the recordings. I believe that I can simply install them again to make this a functioning unit, but don`t have the source files. Do you have any idea where I might find these? I`ve tried the Sony site, but since this is a discontinued item, they don`t have information on it. The operation simply says Format Error when any button is pushed. This is a beautiful unit, and I would like to get it functional again. Any help you could give would be appreciated. Thanks, Rich D.

Galega says :

If you are in the possession of CD that you had gotten while buying this unit, then you can use to install the device files. Otherwise, you may have to visit a service center of Sony. The official website may have removed the link, but service centers keep device drivers and necessary files of all devices that are still being used.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 161808439391031/k2311a0818/8.18.08