Suspicious River (R, 2000) movie  » Movies  »
  • For that reason, I decided to rent Suspicious River ---a film about a young woman who works in a motel, and subsequently services the male customers

• by Famous

I am not a huge Molly Parker fan. But there is something about the actress’ delicate features and avant garde sensitivity that I am drawn to. For that reason, I decided to rent “Suspicious River”—a film about a young woman who works in a motel, and subsequently “services” the male customers. The story is apparently much deeper than that.

She befriends a little girl (SPOILER ALERT!) who is actually a representation of herself. I had no idea that this was the case at first. But after a while, it’s pretty

blatant.

In any event, the film dives right into the main character’s side profession. Because of the subject matter, I was expecting something a bit grittier. First of all, I was surprised that the film took place in a small town.

The DVD cover art looked really sensual. And because the woman looks a bit more glamorous on the cover, I assumed that she worked in an urban, semi-urban hotel. I was shocked that this was all taking place in some Podunk town.

The motel clerk has ...

• apparently been doing this for some time. And there are many deep connections involved with the little girl, and the apparent flashbacks that the hotel receptionist has. The viewer discovers that the woman is in fact searching desperately for closure regarding her mother’s brutal death.

And we also find out that that is probably why she ended up following in her mother’s footsteps. What I didn’t enjoy about the film was some of the secondary storylines. This is the same director who brought “Kissed” (1966) to the screen.

And you can tell

that in four years, he still had some difficulty exploring the additional characters. I was left feeling numb about anyone else besides the clerk. In fact, when her husband realizes that she’s been sleeping around, it’s difficult to feel anything for him, because his character has never been shown on screen for more than a few minutes.

It was difficult to connect to other characters in the movie. The ending did have a slight twist, which was a welcomed one. But other than that, I really could have left this film off of my Netflix queue.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 111208434260431/k2311a0812/8.12.08