King Rat (Dub Reggae band, Atlanta GA)  » Entertainment  »
  • I really enjoyed the fact that they used real instrumentation in their arrangements
  • The vibe was definitely reggae, but with something extra tossed in for good measure
  • One was a saxophonist, the other was a trombone player (I think)
  • But together they created a really sensual experience with reggae as a primary base
  • I like that people of all ethnicities can hone in on the aspects of African American culture that are exceptional, and translate that art in different ways

• by Famous

I had the opportunity to see King Rat perform at Atlanta’s Apache Café. First of all, I must say that the opportunity to hang out in that neat space without all the pretentious people was a royal treat. The band participated in what was called a Space Out Project that featured a number of dub/reggae/electronica bands.

The music was sooo fabulous. I really enjoyed the fact that

they used real instrumentation in their arrangements.

The vibe was definitely reggae, but with something extra tossed in for good measure. That extra thing is called jazz.

There were two horn players. One was a saxophonist, the other was a trombone player (I think.

) But together they created a really sensual experience with reggae as a primary base. I think what I was impressed ...

• with the most was the ability to take the sound out of the traditional realm, and create something that is more solid and tangible.

I like that the ambient sounds they created were used with real instruments piped through effects, instead of just infusing lots of computer sounds over or under the drum beats. And speaking of drums, there were also two wonderful drummers who completely captured the essence

and spirit of the moment.

It was a fresh approach to a well-versed genre of music. The fact that most of the musicians were not of color was not even a factor.

I like that people of all ethnicities can hone in on the aspects of African American culture that are exceptional, and translate that art in different ways. King Rat certainly did that.

I was thoroughly entertained!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 591208434240431/k2311a0812/8.12.08