Gmail.com  » Web sites  »
  • I like having a gmail account these days because it is attached straight to my Blogspot, which is convenient for receiving alerts from my blog, etc. Then, of course, if you are using Google's Adsense (which is a whole other program by itself
  • I find that very convenient as the standard view is made for broadband users and I once had dial-up myself which would definitely sway me away from using a slow loading email service
  • I think this is a nice feature to help prevent theft or fraud on your email account if a hacker was to ever get your passwords and ID's
  • Also tracking the IP is a good way to track down the computer which the person logged in on, although I am sure hackers would be smarter than that, but I love this little extra security feature
  • Overall, i would recommend gmail to anyone

• by RJR

When gmail (which is Google’s email service) first came out it was very exclusive and in order to have an account with them you needed to have an invite from someone. I got a couple invites from some of my school friends and signed up for a gmail account back then. But I was so comfortable and accustomed to using my other email service that I never bothered to use gmail much at all and my friends would always hound me down about why I was not using the account.

Now in the present day gmail is free to access without an invite and anyone can just search “gmail” in their search engine and sign up for an account with them. I like having a gmail account these days because it is attached straight to my Blogspot, which is convenient for receiving alerts from my blog, etc . Then, of course, if you are using Google’s Adsense (which is a whole other program by itself!) you need to have a gmail address with Google.

www.gmail.com has some features included in it that makes it quite attractive to me now and I enjoy using this email service a lot for some of the following reasons. For one, I have friends who have dial-up access still and if they are checking their email they can easily click a link to be taken to a faster loading version of the gmail inbox. I find that very convenient as the standard view is made

for broadband users and I once had dial-up myself which would definitely sway me away from using a slow loading email service.

The layout of the email service is very easy to understand and I find my way around easily. I also love the amount of space they give you to hold your email messages as well, it’s over 6000MB! That’s a huge amount for a fee email service if you ask me. Attaching files are a breeze but it got a little confusing to me when I first tried it out. I later found out that my recipient got the attachments just fine and I actually figured out how to use the attachments feature to make sure my files are there the second time around ;). Not sure how I missed it the first time, but I was also in a hurry too, so I guess I can’t be too hard on myself.

It seems that they record the last time you logged in (how many hours or days, maybe even weeks ago!) and your IP address as well. I think this is a nice feature to help prevent theft or fraud on your email account if a hacker was to ever get your passwords and ID’s. Also tracking the IP is a good way to track down the computer which the person logged in on, although I am sure hackers would be smarter than that, but I love this little extra security feature. It definitely gives me a ...

• sense of security and best of all I can view the details of the IP addresses, so I can literally track if any other IP’s have been on my email account without my permission.

On the setting tabs in the Gmail Emailing Service there is a feature which I find so neat and thoughtful. Imagine going away on a vacation but having no time to respond to emails and/or very little internet access time available to you. They have a feature called the vacation responder which is enabled manually by you. You then type in your subject line and message in a little box provided right next to the listed feature and anyone who emails you will get an automated messaged sent to them that you are on vacation or not available. How cool is that?! You can also enable this feature to only send the automated message to your contacts or to everyone that sends you an email.

They also give you the option to make your own personalized filters to filtered out incoming email messages straight to your junk mail folder, which I think is another innovative feature in this emailing service. Like any other emailing service they also have a search feature for you to easily sort your mail when looking for a particular email. But they go a step further giving you the options to search through particular folders, if the email has an attachment with it or not, which words you would like to include

and also exclude from your search! They also give you an option to search within certain dates, but I don’t really use that feature too much personally. But it is handy for emails that came in recently.

They have another feature called starred mail which i am not totally sure about because I am not familiar with it’s use, but I had read in their Help section that if you mark a message with a star it will show up in that folder. I guess this can be used to sort out more important emails from the other stuff that comes in. This also seems similar to me for their idea of having a labels feature which is used to group certain messages together. It’s like having separate folders for certain emails. Like you can have one for your job files, emails from your boyfriend, from your forum group, parents, friends, anyone and anything, subscriptions, etc!

Overall, i would recommend gmail to anyone. I had a friend who was new to computers and all the internet stuff, so I recommended this Gmail’s email service to him and he is so happy I did, he loves all the features, as do I! I am still learning much about this email service but I love that it can be so customized and personalized to one’s liking. So if you haven’t started using Google’s emailing service yet (Gmail) them give it a go! It would really be worth your time to check it out!

Gmail.com

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 201208433530331/k2311a0812/8.12.08