Blackbeard’s Ghost DVD  » Movies  »
  • Disney is the bible to family movies, and I love just about all of them
  • Imagine my surprise when, decades later, I found out the actor who played Gudger, Hank Jones, is a cousin of mine, for real

• by Orrymain

Disney is the bible to family movies, and I love just about all of them. One of my favorite live-action Disney films is “Blackbeard’s Ghost” starring Peter Ustinov, Dean Jones, and Suzanne Pleshette.

I actually remember seeing this movie at the drive-in with my parents when I was a little girl. I just loved the blustery, obnoxious ghost that really has a heart of gold and isn’t as scary as

he’s made out to be.

Dean Jones, of course, did a bunch of Disney projects. He plays the coach of a track and field team that is made up of some odd characters, none of whom is very athletic. I always remembered the lead team player, a character named Gudger Larkin, the stereotypical weakling played with humor. Imagine my surprise when, decades later, I found out the actor who ...

• played Gudger, Hank Jones, is a cousin of mine, for real! Now that’s a hoot that I’m quite proud of.

“Blackbeard’s Ghost” disappeared from release early on and wasn’t available on video for many years. I was so thrilled to see it again about 10 or so years ago, and now it’s finally on DVD. It’s just a nice, funny, sometimes poignant tale of a ghost in need of

a friend, and a coach in need of some ghostly assistance to find happiness.

It’s family friendly with good performances. Though the DVD itself doesn’t have any extras on it at all, I still have to give the review a 10. After all, this is one of my all time top Disney films, one I remembered from childhood, even though it was buried in the Disney vault for many, many years.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 111208432960231/k2311a0812/8.12.08