General Hospital: Nightshift 2008  » TV  »
  • I love it when a beloved character returns and is still true to his character
  • I've enjoyed seeing him during these first few episodes
  • It's been quite a while since I've seen a story that dealt with this issue

• by Orrymain

In July 2008, Soap net debuted the second season of “General Hospital: Night Shift”. Essentially, it’s a summer show that takes regulars from the daytime soap opera and showcases them as they work the night shift at General Hospital. The show airs every Tuesday evening during the summer.

I didn’t watch last year, and from what I understand, the nighttime edition didn’t match what was happening during the daytime soap, so there were a lot of conflicts which was upsetting to fans. This year, everything is supposed to be in sync.

While I watched GH for decades, I no longer watch, with the exception of an occasional episode here and there. However, with nothing else on TV, I ended up watching the first episode of Night Shift in

July and was very surprised. I liked it.

One of the reasons might be that this summer edition is focused around the character of Robin Scorpio, played by Kimberly McCullough. Kimberly grew up playing Robin, literally since she was 5 years old. Now Robin is a doctor, pregnant and has HIV. I remember meeting Kimberly when she was that 5 year old child and watching her perform at a fan club gathering. I can’t help but like her and want to watch her. She’s one of the few actresses on TV whose child character has actually aged naturally.

Thrown into the mix is the return of Antonio Sabato, Jr. as Jagger. I love it when a beloved character returns and is still true to his character.

• I’ve enjoyed seeing him during these first few episodes.

Also on the show is Billy Dee Williams. Apparently, he was on last year, too, according to the cast listing I looked at earlier. What amazes me about this is how times have changed. Billy Dee’s character is involved with a plus-sized woman. Who ever thought we’d see that? I think it’s wonderful.

The most recent episode saw the return of Tristan Rogers as Robin’s father, Robert Scorpio. He’s always been a favorite of mine and he’s been on GH off an on for decades as well. What I love about this return is that the focus is all on Robert’s relationship with Robin, and it’s not bogged down by other things.

“Night Shift” moves quickly.

The subplots have all been touching and dealt with within the hour-long episode. The false pregnancy tale from this week was very touching. It’s been quite a while since I’ve seen a story that dealt with this issue.

My only criticism is that for a hospital emergency room, where the majority of action takes place, everyone is pretty physical. There’s a lot of hugging and kissing and such by the various couples. It seems out of place and inappropriate. Other than that, I’m enjoying it.

While “Night Shift” isn’t about to get me watching the daytime show again, for a few weeks this summer, I plan to spend one hour on Tuesday evenings watching it, enjoying seeing some old favorites, and just watching some good short stories.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 101208432950231/k2311a0812/8.12.08