We Are Marshall DVD  » Movies  »
  • This is the second time I can remember when I thought I was going to watch a sports movie and ended up watching a flick about the human spirit
  • The problem with that piece is that it's poorly done
  • It's a winner, and even though the extras are minimal, I definitely recommend the DVD

• by Orrymain

Sometimes, the unexpected happens when you’re watching a movie. This is the second time I can remember when I thought I was going to watch a sports movie and ended up watching a flick about the human spirit. The first time was when I saw “Brian’s Song” with James Caan. The tears I’ve

cried while watching that movie could fill buckets. The second time was last month when I rented “We Are Marshall” with Matthew McConaughey.

I was blown away by this movie, and the pain of the people who really experienced the true life drama. It’s an emotional ride, and one that kept drawing me in. I couldn’t multi-task, as I often do while watching films. This one not only demanded, but it commanded my attention.

The movie itself is great, but I really wish they’d done some commentary, to give us some insights on the production; unfortunately, there is none. There is a theatrical trailer and a tiny ...

• We Are Marshall DVD
      piece that promotes Marshall University. The problem with that piece is that it’s poorly done. It’s scripted, and it sounds every bit of it. They needed more rehearsal time on it, that’s for sure.

The main extra is a piece on legendary coaches, that begins with the coach McConaughey plays in the movie and

then expands to include a few other top-rated coaches, all of who talk about how they overcome adversity in their careers. It is a nice segment.

“We Are Marshall” tells a story about the heart and spirit of one town in America. It’s a winner, and even though the extras are minimal, I definitely recommend the DVD.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 111208432820231/k2311a0812/8.12.08