Family Guy  » TV  »
  • That's not to say I enjoy everything about the show
  • There are still quite a few things I don't like about it
  • I'm not sure, but I think I've seen one flashback on two or three different episodes
  • For example, one of the on-going jokes in the series is Peter's feud with a giant chicken that I believe started when the chicken gave him an expired coupon

• by Steve

In the past, I really wasn’t much of a Family Guy fan. I would watch the show and laugh at a few of the jokes but thought a lot of the stuff was a bit too crude for my tastes so I never was a huge fan. I’m not sure what has changed, maybe I’m less of a prude today or something, but I actually enjoy watching it now. The thing I’ve come to love about Family Guy is it is one of the few shows on TV that actually tests the limitations of television.

Sure, the Simpsons might make the occasional racist joke or talk bad about religion but Family Guy

does it so often, it would be hard to take anyone seriously if they really did believe what the characters seem to believe. The jokes are still a bit crude but not really much cruder than many of the other shows that are on television and they are much better written than on a lot of other shows. In fact, even though it’s probably not recommended, I let my 4-year-old watch it.

She doesn’t understand a lot of the jokes but she loves Stewie and many of the characters. I’m also amazed at just how bad of parents Peter and Lois Griffin are. Not only do they treat their daughter like garbage they never seem to really pay attention to their baby.

Stewie manages to go on cross-country trips and has even fought in the Iraq war and they don’t even know he’s gone. That’s not to say I enjoy everything about the show. There are still quite a few things I don’t like about it.

For one, they tend to have a lot of flashbacks throughout each episode. This, in itself actually isn’t that big of a deal and is as enjoyable as the rest of the episode. But, they seem to repeat quite a few of the situations.

I’m not sure, but I think I’ve seen one flashback on two or three ...

• Family Guy
      different episodes; as though the writers expect you not to notice that. And, in some episodes, the show seems to run out of material so it spends several minutes with a filler scene that really has nothing to do with everything going on. For example, one of the on-going jokes in the series is Peter’s feud with a giant chicken that I believe started when the chicken gave him an expired coupon.

They end up fighting and the fight goes over several minutes. In fact, one scene has them fighting, becoming friends and then fighting again over the check at an expensive restaurant. Stuff like that is funny at first but does

get old after a while.

You can only rely on an on-going joke for so long. Is Family Guy for everyone? Probably not. Some people will find it offensive and if you’re sensitive to that sort of thing you’re probably not going to enjoy it.

However, at least in my individual case, this show has actually managed to replace the Simpsons as my favorite animated comedy on TV. I actually prefer to watch a Family Guy re-run before I would watch a new episode of the Simpsons. And, considering I used to actually plan my schedule around the new Simpsons episodes, that says a heck of a lot.

That’s pretty impressive for a series I didn’t even like a few months ago.

Family Guy

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 101108432071031/k2311a0811/8.11.08