The Eye  » Movies  »
  • Most of the time, when I watch a so-called thriller, I find it to be more boring than scary
  • And, I think a good portion of the credit really belongs to Alba
  • That sold me more on her acting ability than seeing her in tight fitting jeans or a bikini and, after seeing her in this role, I know I'm more likely to rent or buy a movie simply because she's in it
  • If you want something that will keep you on the edge of your seat, this is definitely a movie I would recommend

• by Steve

Most of the time, when I watch a so-called thriller, I find it to be more boring than scary. In fact, I usually find myself laughing at scenes that should be terrifying me. This wasn’t the case with the movie The Eye. I have to say, after watching it last night, it was one of the creepiest movies I’ve ever seen. Jessica Alba proves she’s more than just a pretty face in this movie.

She plays a blind woman who receives a cornea transplant and is able to see for the first time since she was 5 years old. However, instead of just seeing the people she’s talking two and various other normal sights, she also starts seeing things she’s probably not supposed to see; things like dead people’s spirits and changing rooms; even a reflection in the mirror that isn’t hers. The concept behind this movie really isn’t anything that hasn’t been done before. I’ve seen at least a half dozen films where someone receives a new hand or some other body part and suddenly starts seeing what the dead person saw or can’t control the body part.

But, this movie was so unpredictable, it was actually frightening. For example, there are various times throughout the film where

you can feel the movie building suspense and you expect something scary to come up behind her or pop out of a closet but nothing happens. Then, later in the film, they will be driving along in their car having a casual conversation and suddenly a ghost pops out from the side. This happened at one point during the movie and my wife and I both jumped.

And, unlike a lot of other films of this nature, the writers didn’t go for the cheap theatrics in order to sell a scare. In other words, they didn’t have a cat pop out from behind a garbage can or her being scared by her own shadow or reflection. I will say I’m a little confused by the whole being able to see into the spiritual world thing. I can understand her being able to see the ghosts; after all, she did receive the transplant.

But, last I checked, being able to see things doesn’t necessarily mean you can hear them; something her new eyes also allow her to do. Still, I really did enjoy this movie. And, I think a good portion of the credit really belongs to Alba. Unlike earlier films like Into the Blue and Fantastic Four where she ...

• got by largely on her looks, she had to legitimately act in this movie and she did a great job selling her part.

My wife and I were on the edge of our seats because she was and we were frightened because she was. That sold me more on her acting ability than seeing her in tight fitting jeans or a bikini and, after seeing her in this role, I know I’m more likely to rent or buy a movie simply because she’s in it. I also love the fact that you really don’t know what’s going on until the very end of the movie. There are hints about the person who donated their corneas earlier in the movie but it’s not clear whether the person is some sort of evil witch or someone that was simply haunted by the same visions Alba’s character is.

And, even though there is obviously a spiritual connection between Alba and the other woman, you don’t know what exactly that is or what kind of message the woman is trying to send her until just moments before the ending. There were a couple things I don’t know if I liked about the movie. First, I’m not a huge fan of the ending. It

was good, but it was also kind of predictable.

In fact, I have this weird feeling I’ve seen the ending before in another movie. I also wish they would have spent more time explaining some of the more prominent spirits she sees throughout the film. I’m not talking the guy she sees in the elevator or the woman she walks through on the street. But, she’s attacked by a dead woman at a restaurant and is pestered by a dead kid at her apartment building (he keeps asking her if she’s seen his report card) and there is no real explanation about who they are or how they died.

I don’t know if I really care so much about the kid, but it really would have been nice to know why that woman had it in for her considering most of the other spirits she sees are very friendly toward her or don’t even pay attention to her. Even with those few things, I’m going to give this movie a high score. Like I’ve said before, I’ve seen a lot of “thrillers” that didn’t even come close to scaring me as much as this film managed to do at various times. If you want something that will keep you on the edge of your seat, this is definitely a movie I would recommend.

Sorry, there are no related reviews at moment
    The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 111108432031031/k2311a0811/8.11.08