Sgt. Bilko  » Movies  »
  • When Steve Martin re-did the Pink Panther movie, I thought his performance was actually better than the original
  • The thing I like about this movie is the fact Martin's take is so full of energy

• by Steve

When Steve Martin re-did the Pink Panther movie, I thought his performance was actually better than the original. But, that wasn’t the only movie I can say that about.

When I was younger, I remember watching re-runs of the Phil Silvers Show and his character Sgt.

Bilko.

In the movie based on that character, I have to say Steve Martin once again gives a better performance than you could expect from the original.

The thing I like

about this movie is the fact Martin’s take is so full of energy.

And, not just any energy, unconditional positive energy.

That’s the case whether he’s trying to hide an illegal gambling ring from the base commander (played by Dan Akroyd) or trying to clear his name after being framed for stealing money or trying to convince his fiancee not to leave him even though he’s forgotten about their wedding day on a couple of occasions.

Of ...

• course, you have a great supporting cast helping to carry the film too; something you need to make a good movie into a great one.

You have everyone from a tomboy to an army private who wants to do things by the rules and even an overweight slob who looks like he’s going to kill over any second.

And, I wouldn’t be doing the movie justice if I didn’t take a second to discuss the appearance of

country singer Travis Tritt.

His rendition of “Only You” is still one of the better versions I’ve heard from the song.

If you’re a fan of the Phil Silvers show, you’re probably not going to like this movie because he takes the character to a whole different level and some people might be a bit offended by that.

However, if you’re a fan of comedies; especially those that involve the military, this is a movie you shouldn’t miss.

You won’t regret watching it.

Sgt. Bilko

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 111108432011031/k2311a0811/8.11.08