Black & Decker cordless pruning saw  » Housewares  »
  • So far, I'm still undecided whether I like it or not though
  • I think my biggest complaint about this product is the battery life

• by Steve

I have a lot of trees in my back yard and, because the previous homeowners didn’t take care of them or take the time to plan it so the trees weren’t so close together, they are overgrown into each other and full of dead branches. Trimming the trees has always been a pain with a manual pruning saw because, after a few limbs, you’re very tired so I rarely get all my work done. That’s why, when I came across the Black & Decker cordless pruning saw, I had to buy it.

So far, I’m still undecided whether I like it or not though. In terms of convenience, the saw is OK.

It extends up to 14 feet

so I can reach all but the top branches on my maple tree (though it doesn’t even get me close to the branches on the elm tree) the attachments were a bit confusing when I first bought it but, after figuring them out, I can extend the saw and lower it without any real difficulty. The fact it’s cordless makes my life a little simpler because I don’t have to worry about finding an extension cord to reach the mulberry tree in the very back of my yard.

In terms of cutting, the book says the blade can cut branches up to 6 inches in diameter. I’ve managed to do a couple that are a bit bigger than ...

• that but it did have some difficulty.

Overall, it’s pretty easy to use; at least compared to my old manual pruner. I haven’t had too many problems handling the tool while cutting and can usually get through a couple branches in a minute or two; though I do think it works best on the smaller limbs than the larger branches.

I think my biggest complaint about this product is the battery life. Quite simply, it drains very quickly.

Basically, I can do one tree and then have to charge it again; something that takes a couple hours minimum. I’m thinking I’m going to have to buy another battery for it just so I can keep one on the

charger while I’m using the other; that is a bit of a pain.

The blade also seems to be getting dull already; something that I wasn’t prepared for since I really don’t have the tools handy to sharpen it and don’t want to spend the money on a replacement blade just a couple weeks after buying the product. So, that’s a big negative for me too.

I think this product is an improvement on the way I used to trim my trees but, if I had to do it again, I think I might have shopped around a bit more and checked other brands first. The pruning saw is OK but I have a feeling there are better ones on the market; including those that have a longer battery life.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 531108431870931/k2311a0811/8.11.08