2001 Chrysler Sebring  » Cars  »
  • And, while we were a bit concerned by the fact it had more than 100,000 miles on it when we bought it, I have to say I haven't been overly disappointed by it
  • I think it can get from 0-60 in less time than our 2005 PT Cruiser and the Cruiser is newer and has a lot less miles on it
  • The trunk is decent in terms of space and I like the fact you can fold the seat down to create more room
  • However, I'm not as impressed with it as I thought I would be because it's not very tall
  • Chrysler gets a bad reputation for cars lately but this is a vehicle they made right and is one I would recommend to someone looking for a family car or a first vehicle for their teenaged driver

• by Steve

As a growing family, my wife and I realized we needed a second car. But, not being able to afford a new one, we instead had to look into a pre-owned on. We ended up settling on a 2001 Chrysler Sebring. And, while we were a bit concerned by the fact it had more than 100,000 miles on it when we bought it, I have to say I haven’t been overly disappointed by it. When it comes to car shopping, we have two main criteria.

One is reliability and the other is space. So far, the Sebring has fit both of those. Even though the Sebring has more than 100,000 miles on it, it runs as though it were new. The engine is still very clean and you can hardly hear it running.

For a four-cylinder engine, the automobile also has

quite a bit of get-up-and-go left in it. I think it can get from 0-60 in less time than our 2005 PT Cruiser and the Cruiser is newer and has a lot less miles on it. The car also gets quite a bit of gas mileage too; considering it’s a Chrysler product and those aren’t known for gas mileage. My wife is the primary driver and, while the bulk of her driving is to and from work (about a half mile), she does drive it around town quite a bit too.

Yet, she only has to fill the tank about once every three weeks. I should mention she’s also a bit of a lead-foot when she drives so you can expect the car to get less gas mileage with her than somebody who is a bit more careful with their speed. /> Since we have a young child and are thinking about having another one, space is also a huge thing for us. While it doesn’t have as much space as our PT Cruiser; the Sebring does have quite a bit.

The back seat is large enough where we can put two car seats and probably could fit an adult back there as well and there’s plenty of headroom for those of us who are taller. The trunk is decent in terms of space and I like the fact you can fold the seat down to create more room. However, I’m not as impressed with it as I thought I would be because it’s not very tall. We bought a couple totes the other day and couldn’t fit them inside the trunk and had to put them on the back seat instead.

There’s ...

• 2001 Chrysler Sebring
      probably enough room in there to take a pack and play or something but I wouldn’t want to trust it for hauling anything of any significant size. I think my biggest complaint about the Sebring is really the same complaint I have about most cars of its size. It’s low to the ground. This isn’t something that is a significant problem but it does require an adjustment when you’re used to a car that sits higher up; like our PT Cruiser.

You can feel every bump on the road and it’s a bit harder to see around other cars when you’re stopped next to them at an intersection. Some of the things inside the car really aren’t built for convenience either. The window controls, for example, are on the door. This is a bit of a nuisance because it means the

driver is really responsible for everything that goes on in the car; something that can be a bit of a distraction.

I prefer cars that have the window controls on the dashboard (like our PT Cruiser) because that means my wife can take care of opening and closing the windows while I’m driving and I don’t have to take my concentration off the road. Overall though, for a used car, I really don’t have many complaints about the Sebring. We’ve purchased other cars, new and old in the past and, while I wouldn’t put it at the top of the list of the best cars we’ve owned, I think it would make the top three or four. Chrysler gets a bad reputation for cars lately but this is a vehicle they made right and is one I would recommend to someone looking for a family car or a first vehicle for their teenaged driver.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 91108431860931/k2311a0811/8.11.08