Mr. Monk and the Genius  » TV  »
  • However, I do have to say, while I enjoyed the episode, I was still a bit disappointed by the way the chess genius kept spoon-feeding clues to Monk
  • I think it would have been better if he would have picked up on some sort of subtle clue to solve the case instead

• by Steve

Finally, a Monk episode that gets back down to the basics. You have a suspect that everyone knows is the murderer but nobody can prove and it’s up to Monk to find the clues that aren’t obvious to beat him.

This episode has him pitted against a genius and it starts out beautifully.

The man’s wife comes to Monk ahead of time to tell him she’s going to be murdered and even pays

him in advance so he can catch her killer.

And, while Monk is able to figure out how the man, a chess expert, did it; the criminal seems to always be a step or two ahead of him and manages to destroy the evidence and make it impossible to prove the crime; even to the point Monk seriously considers planting evidence.

I have to admit, for the first time in a while, I ...

• was on the edge of my seat with this show because you had to wonder if Monk would be able to actually prove the guy’s guilt or if it would be a case he couldn’t solve.

However, I do have to say, while I enjoyed the episode, I was still a bit disappointed by the way the chess genius kept spoon-feeding clues to Monk.

Monk solved they mystery of how she died OK

but the other stuff was pretty much handed to him; like the fact the man had another wife and how the genius managed to hide evidence of murder on that first wife.

I think it would have been better if he would have picked up on some sort of subtle clue to solve the case instead.

Still, compared to other recent episodes, this one was definitely an improvement so I won’t say I was completely disappointed in it.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 101108431850931/k2311a0811/8.11.08