10,000 B.C.  » Movies  »
1.0
  • The best way I can think to describe this movie is it has great special effects but not a whole lot of substance to it
  • Somehow I don't think you had interracial tribes back then
  • As it stands, this is a film I was extremely disappointed in
  • It's definitely a movie I would advise you to avoid watching

• by Steve

My wife and I got the move 10,000 B. C. through Netflix and it sat in our house for almost three weeks before we finally had time to watch it. After seeing the movie, I can say I’m glad I didn’t spend the money to see it in the theater. The best way I can think to describe this movie is it has great special effects but not a whole lot of substance to it. It’s as though the filmmakers decided to spend their budget creating Wooly Mammoths and a couple other prehistoric creatures and hoped that, with those creatures on the screen, you wouldn’t notice a pretty weak script.

Let’s put it this way, the movie Caveman, complete with its clay-mation dinosaurs was Oscar-worthy if you compared it to this film. The movie, which of course takes place in 10,000 B. C, focuses on a prehistoric tribe and the love story between a man and woman that leads him across the known world to rescue her when she’s captured by “demons” on horseback. There were some moments in this movie, like when they are in this tall grassy area and have these giant birds attacking them and eating them. But, for the most part, the film was actually a bit dull.

Most of it was him building an army. You really didn’t have a whole lot of action in it except for a

couple battle scenes at the beginning and end of the film. Overall, the movie was a bit confusing both plot wise and in terms of historical accuracy. For example, early on, you have the hunters of the tribe going out of their way to sneak up on a herd of mammoths. But, the first thing they do when they get there is purposely cause the herd to stampede.

Somehow that seems a bit stupid. Given the size of the creature and the difficulty of killing it, you think you would go out of your way to kill it before it realizes you are there and, considering this is supposed to be “the last hunt” and your village is starving, you would think they would try to kill more than one; to make sure they have enough food for a while. Not to mention when the hero is alone against a mammoth he doesn’t even have enough sense to move out of the way. He just stands in front of it even though he’s scared half to death and there are plenty of places for him to run. It’s not as though the creature is going to try to kill him.

I would think it would take off running somewhere. And, I’m still a bit confused about why they kept referring to it as the last hunt. How do they know it’s the ...

• last hunt? And, if they are starving because there’s no food in their area, why don’t they just pack up and move? Isn’t that what hunters and gatherers did?

I’m also a bit confused about where in the world this was all supposed to have been taking place. When they catch up with the men that captured his girlfriend, it almost looks like they somehow ended up in Egypt. They had the pyramids being built and the desert land looked just like most Egyptian mummy movies.

But, the Egyptian pyramids wouldn’t have been built until about 4-5000 years later so I’m not sure if that’s the place. Not to mention that, judging by them going from colder weather to warmer weather, they would have had to cross some sort of water to get there but they never do. It would have been really nice to have some idea where they were in the world and what exactly each of the tribes they came across were supposed to represent. I’m already confused about how they happened to have black people in a tribe that was almost all white. Somehow I don’t think you had interracial tribes back then.

The thing that really started to bug my wife and me in the movie was all the references to various foretellings. He rescues a sabertooth tiger and there happens to be a prediction of something

like that happening. She gets punished by being whipped on her hand and the scars happen to form “the mark” of Orion; which means a hunter is going to come to her rescue. Of course the woman herself was an omen because she had blue eyes. All of that was becoming a bit too much to keep track of.

The battle scenes in the movie weren’t too bad. The final battle though was a bit too short for my tastes. I would like to think a society as advanced as the one they were battling (whether they were Egyptians or something else) would be able to put up a bit more of a fight against a handful of hunters and slaves who are largely unarmed. For all the fuss they gave the bad guy’s leader; he certainly didn’t last long at the end. Overall, I have to say this movie left a bad taste in my mouth.

I’m not sure which is worse, the historic inaccuracies of the time period or the fact I was so confused from beginning to end. I’m leaning toward the latter because the historic inaccuracies could have been overlooked if the movie was any good. As it stands, this is a film I was extremely disappointed in. They wasted good special effects on a movie with too many plot holes and a script that was weak from beginning to end. It’s definitely a movie I would advise you to avoid watching.

10,000 B.C.

Sorry, there are no related reviews at moment
    The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 111108431830931/k2311a0811/8.11.08