Angus Pride Steaks  » Food  »
1.0
  • The packs we had contained two steaks each (I believe they were sirloins) and each steak was about the size of my palm
  • After thawing them, I noticed they had quite a bit of marbling in them and thought that they would wind up being tender
  • I don't like wasting food but I have a hard time calling Angus Pride Steaks food

• by Steve

We don’t normally buy the brand Angus Pride when it comes to steaks; electing instead to purchase locally grown beef. However, we had a couple packs given to us by my parents and, rather than have them go to waste, I opted to make them last night on the grill. After trying them, I’m glad I never purchased them. When it comes to steak, you would think there isn’t much difference between brands. That’s just not true and Angus Pride proves just that.

The packs we had contained two steaks each (I believe they were sirloins) and each steak was about the size of my palm; not huge but decent sized enough where you should be able to get a meal out of them (assuming you make some side dishes). Since they had been in the freezer, I took the time to make sure they were thawed out completely. This is because I’ve made half-frozen steaks in the past and had the outside get burned while

the inside remained uncooked and I didn’t want that to happen again. After thawing them, I noticed they had quite a bit of marbling in them and thought that they would wind up being tender; which is usually the case.

For that reason, I didn’t bother to marinate them before putting them on the grill. I use a gas grill so the temperature stays relatively constant and both burners were on medium when I put the steaks on. Right away, they started dripping liquid fat into the the bottom of the grill; not a huge deal considering these are cheaper brand steaks and should be expected to have fat in them. But, these had enough grease dripping to actually cause the grill to flame up quite a bit; something that is a little unusual for that kind of meat.

I could expect it from pork or even chicken but not beef. It made me wonder what exactly they were feeding the cow the steaks came from.

• At this point, at least in hindsight, I should have been concerned. But, my thought was, the more fat, the more tender the steaks would end up being.

So, I figured if they had that much fat, they should be the most tender steaks I have ever had. Wow, was I wrong about that assumption. I had the steaks on the grill about 10 minutes and, even at the medium setting, which normally takes longer, they were done relatively quick. The first thing I noticed, outside of the fat dripping, was the fact they were shrinking while on the grill.

That is to be expected. However, these steaks went from being about the size of the palm of my hand to about half the size. And, to my dismay, they seemed to be drying out right on the grill. I brought the steaks in and attempted to cut into one of them only to find it was as far from being tender as you can imagine.

In fact, it was tough and dry; almost like it was a big piece of beef jerky. When I took my steak knife through it, I had to force it through and some pieces were actually breaking off rather than being cut off. They were also extremely hard to chew. In fact, the only way I could eat the steak was by smothering it in barbecue sauce; something I rarely do.

By the time my wife and I were done eating them, we had given them the nickname of “mystery meat” because we both believe there is no way steak should get that tough and, for that reason, we wondered if they were made out of something other than beef. I absolutely love grilling steaks on my grill but this is one brand of steaks you won’t ever see me buying again. In fact, if I have any more packs given to me, they will likely end up right in the garbage can. I don’t like wasting food but I have a hard time calling Angus Pride Steaks food.

Angus Pride Steaks

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 271108431770931/k2311a0811/8.11.08