Mr. Monk Buys a House
  • I'm not sure, but I think it would have been nice to see some more comedy involved with that

• by Steve

I still like the television series Monk. But, either I’m becoming a better detective myself or the show is becoming extremely predictable with easy-to-solve cases. Mr.

Monk Buys a House, the newest episode, is a good example of this. From the first minutes of the show, we know who is killed and have some idea as to why he was killed (he obviously had something of value hidden and they were trying to figure out what it was).

No mystery there. And, within the first 20-30 minutes,

Monk figured it out the elderly guy was murdered too.

But, the addition of Brad Garrett to the show as a guest star was the twist that should have surprised me and it wasn’t. From the second Monk bought the elderly guy’s home and Garrett’s character handed him his business card saying he was a contractor, I knew he was aligned with the woman who killed the elderly guy.

And, my suspicions were clear when he started ripping the entire house apart. And, as has been the ...

• case in a couple recent episodes, Monk didn’t do any major detective work; the captain and Randy figured out what was going on before he did and Natalie is the one who figured out how to save the day.

What is the point in having Monk on the show any more? Comic relief?

I kind of liked the addition of Hector Elizondo to the cast though. The death of actor Stanley Kamel was a tragedy and I’m glad the show took the time to address what happened

to his character Charles Kroger early on.

Some shows wouldn’t have done that. The show did kind of tip toe around the transition though.

I’m not sure, but I think it would have been nice to see some more comedy involved with that. It would have taken some pressure off of a sensitive subject.

Overall, I have to say this show had a couple funny moments but was far from being my favorite in the series. I certainly hope they do a better job next time because I really hate solving the mystery so quickly.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 101108431760931/k2311a0811/8.11.08