2005 PT Cruiser  » Cars  »
  • In fact, there are plenty of days when I miss my 1998 Chevy Cavalier (the car I traded in when I decided to lease the PT Cruiser)
  • And, I don't think I'm sacrificing anything in terms of the actual space either
  • We did this when we bought a bookshelf for our den and the guy who helped us carry it out of the store was impressed it fit inside what he thought was going to be a small space
  • When we first leased the car, we had an issue with it stalling out on us on random occasions
  • In fact, I think I spend about $100 a month on gas and I don't even leave the city limits

• by Steve

I’ve been leasing my 2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser for the past three years and, now that the lease is running out on it, I have decided I’m going to officially buy it. Not that the PT Cruiser is the greatest car I’ve ever owned. In fact, there are plenty of days when I miss my 1998 Chevy Cavalier (the car I traded in when I decided to lease the PT Cruiser). But, it fits my lifestyle better than any other car in my price range. I’m married and have a soon-to-be four year old daughter.

When we first looked at the PT Cruiser, it was because she was still a baby and we had to pack a lot of stuff just to go to the store. If we went anywhere overnight, it was like packing for a week-long trip. For that reason, we needed a car that had plenty of space. The PT Cruiser fits

that description.

I’m not a mini-van person. I wanted something that could fit things like her play yard or bouncer without me looking like I was some grandparent. With the PT Cruiser, I got the luxury of space while still being able to look somewhat cool driving it. And, I don’t think I’m sacrificing anything in terms of the actual space either.

The space between the back seat and hatch is big enough to hold quite a few groceries (and even more if we set up the shelf in it too) and we’ve carried everything from a large wedding cake to a vacuum cleaner in it. If we need more space and we don’t have our daughter along with us, all we have to do is drop the seats down or take them out completely. We did this when we bought a bookshelf for our den and the guy who helped us carry it out of the store was impressed it fit inside what he thought was going to be a small space. The inside of the car is also built for comfort.

Everything from the radio to the window switches are within easy reach and don’t require you to take your eyes off the road. I also like the fact it’s raised off the ground a bit; something that lessens the bumps you would normally feel in a smaller car. And, because you are up higher, it’s easier to see the road when you’re driving or around other vehicles that might be parked next to you at an intersection. Performance wise, I don’t have any major complaints.

When we first leased the car, we had an issue with it stalling out on us on random occasions. And, to be honest, I do still have the occasional day when it seems to run a bit rough. But, over the past ...

• 2005 PT Cruiser
      year or so, it seems to have worked that problem out of its system (I think it might have been the gas I was putting in the car). In terms of getting up to speed, it’s definitely a lot better than my other car was.

Usually, if it takes a while, it’s because I’m absent mindedly not pressing the gas pedal down far enough to get it up to speed; this usually happens when I’m taking a short stretch on the highway from one side of town to the other because I don’t want to be surprised by my exit and have to slam on my brakes at the last second. My only real complaint is the 4-cylinder engine is a bit small for that size of a car. It doesn’t lose too much in terms of power but the gas mileage kind of sucks. When we first leased the car, this wasn’t a bit

deal because we were living in an apartment building dead center in town so everything from my work to the department stores was only a few blocks away.

However, we now live in a house on the south side of town and, because everything of importance (my job, Walmart, etc) is on the North side, we do a lot more driving than we did three years ago. At $4 per gallon, that can get a bit expensive some months. In fact, I think I spend about $100 a month on gas and I don’t even leave the city limits. That last reason is the reason I sometimes miss my old car, which was smaller and got better gas mileage.

But, like I said before, even with the gas mileage issue, I really can’t find a vehicle that meets my needs better than the 2005 PT Cruiser and that’s why I’m willing to commit to it long-term rather than trade it in on a newer model vehicle.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 91108431710931/k2311a0811/8.11.08