Banana Bread recipe  » Recipes  »
  • I tried many banana bread recipes before I found the perfect one
  • Living in NM with the dry climate, we don't have that problem until a rainy day

• by Kathy Montano

I have always had a love for baking stemming back to my childhood. I’m guessing it came from the Mennonites in the family, as they are very well known for their cooking and baking. I tried many banana bread recipes before I found the perfect one. I use this same recipe for zucchini bread, pumpkin bread and any other fruit bread, simply by changing the fruit itself. This is great

for parties, pot lucks, or as an afternoon treat when the kids get home from school.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees grease a 9 X 5 inch loaf pan

2 very ripe medium bananas, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces 1/2 cup butter or margarine, chilled and cut into 6 pieces. (I use margarine but I have made it both ways and it is still wonderful!)

In a large mixing bowl, blend ...

• the bananas and butter until finely chopped, about 20 - 30 seconds

add in:

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour 3/4 cups sugar 2 eggs 1/4 cup milk 2 teaspoons lemon juice or vinegar (omit in pumpkin bread) 1 teaspoon baking soda 1/2 teaspoon salt 1/2 cup walnuts or pecans chopped (optional of course!)

Mix all ingredients together using as little time and blending as possible. If you over mix, your bread will come

out coarse. Turn mixture into the greased pan and bake until the bread springs back when touched lightly in the center, about 55 to 60 minutes. Cool before removing from pan.

(HINT: I’ve also learned that if it is humid, a bit more time may be needed. Living in NM with the dry climate, we don’t have that problem until a rainy day. Then we tend to forget to bake things a bit longer to account for the moisture in the air)

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 49908427020531/k2311a089/8.9.08