Beijing travel
  • One thing I love about Chinese food is that it is full of savory flavors and smells great
  • You can almost feel the history going on inside, it's a truly nice place and I guarantee that you will not be disappointed
  • I can't recommend a good food place as I mostly ate in the hotel and in what noodle shops I can find

• by c0rin

f you haven’t been to China, this is the time to be there because of the 2008 Olympics! I went there 2 years ago and I must say, while some cities i’ve been to are a little dirty, I liked Beijing! I don’t know which lured me into falling in love with the city. It might be the people, the place, the FOOD! The night markets or even the quirks of most Chinese people.

First things first, if you are a foreigner coming from a bread country, you’d have a hard time adjusting to the place and the culture. The Chinese eat rice or noodles, bread is not hard to find but you’d have a hard time finding one which can suit your taste. So the only solution is to embrace the food. One thing I love about Chinese food is that it is full of savory flavors and smells great.

Second, the traffic kills. I came from a

city with little or no traffic that when I experienced traffic on the first day of my vacation, I felt depressed and just wanted to go home. I can attest that the traffic can be so bad that you can actually do your nails inside the car. But don’t worry, while the traffic and the honking are bad, the people seem to be used to it so no one made a fuss.

Three. Everything is EXPENSIVE. You must learn the art of haggling! Especially when the natives see that you’re new to the area and have no idea of the actual price of things. Usually, haggling happens in night markets or street stalls. And sometimes, you feel as if it’s just not worth it because seriously, it can take you 20 minutes to 1 hour. What I do is I usually try to cut the price in half, when they say 50 dollars, I say 25. They say ...

• 40, I say 25. 30=25, and when they say 25 I say “20! I’ll buy it for 20!” (I’m quite good at haggling, I usually get things at a decent price)

Four. The Bathrooms. I don’t know how to say this but some areas, restaurants, etc, have their toilets on the floor and they have no privacy. You can really see the person squat down doing his thing. Good if you’re a girl, lucky you. If you’re a guy…

Five. You must visit the Forbidden city! It’s a must! A must! You can almost feel the history going on inside, it’s a truly nice place and I guarantee that you will not be disappointed! The price to get inside is pretty expensive but you can tour all you want. You ca even buy audio tapes which tells you the history! Seriously! When I was inside, I felt like a concubine! (hehe)

Six. Great Wall of China. Okay, this was a

little hard for me because i’m not the exercise type of person and believe me, the great wall requires a fit person, not because it’s too long but because you feel like your climbing up and down and up and down and up and down. And when I went, it was a little hot and I felt like dying from the heat. But it was a good place. A little too packed when I went but at least I got to see the GREAT WALL! And really, it was GREAT! Very Imposing! Wear Good shoes and water!

7. Tiananmen square. It’s nice in the morning but absolutely beautiful at night. The lighting is perfect! Go fly a kite there!

So that’s basically it. I can’t recommend a good food place as I mostly ate in the hotel and in what noodle shops I can find. Great food is a little expensive, but I swear, when I get back there, i’m trying the food!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 38808426260931/k2311a088/8.8.08