New Rochelle Transit Center  » Travel  »
2.0
New Rochelle, NY
  • This is a beautiful structure, but I think it is useless in practice if your being practical

• by rich

The transit center in New Rochelle, NY is the hub for travel in and around the city because of the fact that most people within this city and surrounding areas do not own a car and they do not have the time to walk everywhere or bike places. This means that they need to use the public transportation in order to get to work or wherever they are going. This transit center is a structure which the city spent millions on so that they could create this, it is made of concrete and is about half a block in length.

It stands in the middle of the city because this is the one place where all buses that run to and from this city stop. This is done to

help make the commute easier on travelers because of the fact that prior to this customers would have to walk anywhere from a few blocks to miles in order to transfer to their next bus.

If I have to walk a longer distance to catch a connecting bus then I am more likely to miss it and this also causes over crowding on buses because people run behind. The transit center makes it easier for customers to catch these connecting buses but it also reduces the points at which customers enter the bus system.

If they can reduce the number of bus stops by opening the transit center then everyone knows where they are supposed to wait and it also reduces costs because less fuel is used. As I ...

• mentioned, this concept was a foreign thing to New Rochelle until a few years ago and now that it has been there for a while I must say I do not appreciate it so much.

The reason is because I see very little in terms of reduced times, and bus drivers will still leave customers if they are not waiting at the stop when the bus arrives. I can only assume it did not reduce fuel much because the rates for the bus continue to go up which does not indicate savings.

I do appreciate that it is easier to transfer to another bus at the transit center but this is a limited benefit since I often need to transfer at different locations. Also, they said that this transit

center would reduce traffic by removing the buses which would otherwise be waiting on the street.

However, the city is still very crowded and so I do not think it has reduced traffic much either. The last negative would be the fact that the transit center is located across the street from a building which is much like a project and so this creates a situation where I am always fearful after getting off the bus at this location.

I wish that it was better lit and protected because some of the people around here do scare me and I feel like nothing is done to protect the transit center or it’s customers from being victimized. This is a beautiful structure, but I think it is useless in practice if your being practical.

Stephanie says :

I need to add more time to my parking stall at the New Rochelle station, but I`m at work. Can I do it online or over the phone?

Marg says :

You’ll have to call Tel. : (914) 654- 2186 to do so. You can confirm the phone num here:

rich says :

Call the transportation center and find out, I doubt you would be able to do it though. If you found this review to be helpful to you please click on the your opinion tab and indicate so.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 38508425400231/k2311a085/8.5.08