Road Trip
  • When the movie Road Trip first came out, I will confess I wasn't overly impressed by it
  • Then, after watching it for about the third time, I think I might have finally realized just why it is one of the best college films I've seen
  • It is definitely a film I would recommend

• by Steve

When the movie Road Trip first came out, I will confess I wasn’t overly impressed by it. For the most part, it seemed to be pretty much every other college movie I’ve ever seen. Then, after watching it for about the third time, I think I might have finally realized just why it is one of the best college films I’ve seen.

There are a couple things about Road Trip that really set it apart from similar movies. First, you have an all-star cast of people who, at the time, were basically nobodies.

You have DJ. Qualls and Amy Smart along with Tom Green and a bunch of other guys.

You

also have a very simple plot (a college student travels across country with his friends to retrieve a sex video he accidentally sent to his girlfriend) that leads to a variety of adventures without getting off track at any point. I really don’t know which is more classic, the fact they steal a school bus from the school of the blind (leading to a hilarious comedy sequence where a blind woman can apparently see everything he’s doing, from feeding her dog to making faces at her) or the fact they try to pass themselves off as members of an all-black fraternity.

And, of course, how can you forget about Tom Green ...

• and his character’s obsession with feeding his friends snake. The fact the whole story is told as part of a recruiting pitch for the college makes the movie even more classic; both because of interruptions resulting in his interpretation that women stand around naked when they talk to each other to a question about when a building was actually constructed.

I’m not sure why, but I suddenly found myself wanting to enroll there. And I already have a college degree.

The great thing about this movie is it manages to stay funny without going all out in the sex and drug references you would come to expect from similar films.

Yes, you have sex and yes, you have drugs.

But, they aren’t a major part of the movie; in other words, nothing like Van Wilder or Animal House (the latter of which I actually liked while the former was a bit too crude for my tastes). This is a movie I wouldn’t want my daughter to watch, but it is decent enough where I could watch it with my parents in the room and not feel myself squirming.

That’s just as important (though they do rarely watch movies with us). It is definitely a film I would recommend; even though I admit it might require you watching it a couple of times just to gain a whole new appreciation for it.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 11508424830131/k2311a085/8.5.08