Recheks Food Pride M&M Cookies  » Food  »
2.5
  • While they are OK, they are far from being the best cookies I've ever tasted
  • When you buy the cookies, they come in a container of about 10 and cost under $4
  • The problem is, they aren't much more than a big sugar cookie with a few M&M's thrown in
  • By the time she was done, I think half the cookie was on our kitchen floor
  • It's hard to relax if I know I have to do some housework right after

• by Steve

I’m not sure why my parents insist on buying our daughter junk food whenever they go to the store. But, our house is full of various sweets that we rarely, if ever eat. One of their most recent purchases for her were M&M cookies from the Recheks Food Pride bakery here in Beaver Dam, WI. While they are OK, they are far from being the best cookies I’ve ever tasted. I want to say I normally like food that comes from Recheks’ bakery. In fact, when it came to my daughter’s birthday last year, we went there for her cake rather than finding a bakery that was cheaper or just buying a frozen one.

That’s why the cookies are a bit of a disappointment. I will start out by saying that, price wise, I have no real complaints. When you buy the cookies, they come in a container of about 10 and cost under $4. There aren’t many places around here that can give you fresh-baked cookies at that decent of a price. And, size wise, I also have no complaints.

They are more than enough

to provide a filling snack or after-dinner dessert. In fact, our daughter needs both hands to hold one. My only real concern is the quality of the food we are (or actually, my parents) buying. Taste wise, they are OK. They have just the right amount of sugar in them; not too sweet and not to bland (something that is more of a problem with other cookies than you would realize).

The problem is, they aren’t much more than a big sugar cookie with a few M&M’s thrown in. When I get an M&M Cookie, I expect to taste the candy every time I bite into it. That isn’t the case with these. In fact, there were a few cookies in the container that had maybe three M&Ms on them. When you have a cookie that is about the size of your hand, three candies just isn’t going to cut it.

If I wanted that, I would have just gotten the sugar cookies to begin with. Several others in the container had more M&Ms, but for some reason they were all on one side of the ...

• cookie or stuck dead center in it. So, on one bite, you might get three or four and the rest of the cookie had none. My biggest complaint about the cookies is the fact they are so messy. When I eat one at lunch, I have to make sure I have a napkin covering my lap so my work slacks don’t get covered in crumbs.

Our poor daughter was trying to eat one last night and, each time she took a bite, she had a shower of crumbs fall on the floor. By the time she was done, I think half the cookie was on our kitchen floor; a fact that didn’t go unnoticed by her (I seriously thought she was going to end up crying). If I were going to suggest some things to Recheks in terms of making the cookies better, it would be this. First, either add more M&Ms or make the cookies a bit smaller (preferably the former). You can’t tell me those candies cost so much money you have to skimp on them in order to turn a profit.

Also, it

would be best to make sure the cookies are coming out evenly spread over the cookies rather than just on one side or stuck right in the middle. Again, a good M&M cookie has me tasting the chocolate in every bite. I would also suggest finding a way to make the cookies a bit less crumbly. I’m really not sure why exactly they are like that. It’s not like they are extremely hard or anything.

But, knowing I might have to sweep my kitchen floor or vacuum my living room floor after eating one isn’t much of an incentive to buy one. I get desserts like that so I can have them while I’m relaxing. It’s hard to relax if I know I have to do some housework right after; especially if it’s my daughter eating one. One thing is for certain, until they add more chocolate to them, you won’t see me spending my own money on them. And, until the correct the problem of the mess, the next time my parents buy them, our daughter will be eating them at their place.

If they are going to buy them for her, they can clean up after her.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 27508424691231/k2311a085/8.5.08