Kentucky Fried Chicken
2.5
Beaver Dam, WI
  • But, as far as fast food goes, it is definitely one of the places we go to when we want something filling for dinner but don't want to cook
  • But, I think they might gain a lot of their business from the Americinn next door too
  • The thing I like about their location is it is right on my way home and is out of the way enough where I can get in and out of their parking lot without having to wait for a ton of traffic
  • Without it, it would have cost me about $25
  • The food might not be the best tasting in the world

• by Steve

KFC isn’t our favorite restaurant. But, as far as fast food goes, it is definitely one of the places we go to when we want something filling for dinner but don’t want to cook. But, while I go to KFC here in Beaver Dam, I will confess my opinion about the restaurant is a bit mixed. I went there Tuesday night after work. The reason for this is my wife and I both had been at work all day and I knew she was already sick so I didn’t want her to be cooking. And, even though I can cook too, I wasn’t sure what we had at home and didn’t want to make dinner plans only to have to run out to the store to find a couple ingredients. So, I took the easy way.

Location wise, I don’t mind where KFC is. I’m actually a bit surprised they haven’t moved considering they are sometimes forgotten about. But,

I think they might gain a lot of their business from the Americinn next door too. The thing I like about their location is it is right on my way home and is out of the way enough where I can get in and out of their parking lot without having to wait for a ton of traffic. Not to mention, the fact they don’t get a lot of customers at once means I don’t have to stand in line forever. However, that last part doesn’t mean I don’t have to wait for my food.

One of my biggest complaints about KFC is it takes forever for them to get the food for me. This really doesn’t make a whole lot of sense considering the food is already cooked and all the cashier needs to do is put the chicken in the bucket and the side dishes in a bag. I went Tuesday and I was standing around for

about 10-12 minutes. I should have been half-way home at that point. I’ve also found KFC is actually quite pricey when it comes to its dinners. While it is still somewhat affordable compared to several store delis in terms of the food; the cost is a bit prohibitive at times too.

When I went on Tuesday, I actually had a coupon for a 12-piece dinner. With the coupon, the dinner, which included 12 pieces of chicken, three sides and biscuits was $19. 99. Without it, it would have cost me about $25. That, actually wasn’t too bad. But, I like their popcorn chicken so I ordered a small container of it.

That small container was nearly $4. That’s insane. I also have to say I’m not a huge fan of the taste of their food any more. It’s edible, don’t get me wrong. But, years ago, I would go out of my way to get their chicken. But, either because ...

• Kentucky Fried Chicken
      they took out the transfat or because they made some other change to their secret recipe, the chicken actually tastes a bit bland now.

Maybe it’s just that specific location (I haven’t tried any other locations in recent history), but the chicken seems to lack taste. Let’s put it this way. I could go to the store, buy a pound of chicken legs and bake them. And, even without adding any special breading or seasoning, they would probably have more flavor than the chicken I get at KFC. Again, I know it’s my own fault for being too lazy to cook myself. But, you think at $20, you would get some sort of taste at least.

The only thing good I can say about the chicken; or more specifically, the meal, is the fact you can buy it in such a large quantity. The food might not be the best tasting in the world. But, it is definitely filling.

And, you can get enough to last you a couple of meals; something that makes the overall cost seem a bit less. It’s also one of the few restaurants I can bring food home from and have items our daughter will eat too. She’s kind of picky when it comes to eating and usually won’t touch the chicken.

But, she does like their mashed potatoes and potato wedges (though she discovered she didn’t care for their macaroni and cheese). Will I eat at KFC again? I’m pretty sure the answer to that is yes. But, I’m also going to say the only reason for that is it does make an easy meal when my wife and I are pressed for time and don’t really have the time to cook dinner. However, if I had to choose between KFC or a home-cooked meal; you can be certain the home cooked meal would win out every time. Both because of taste and because it would be a heck of a lot cheaper.

Kentucky Fried Chicken

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 7508424671231/k2311a085/8.5.08