MVP Sports Bar & Grill
2.5
Beaver Dam, WI
  • One of the biggest reasons I don't like going to clubs is the fact they always seem to play the same Hip Hop music that might entertain a younger crowd but just makes no sense to those of us who grew up during a different time
  • So, when my wife and I decided to go out last weekend with friends, that was where we chose to go
  • Here's what I really found interesting about the place
  • I think there was maybe a dozen people up there
  • My wife got one drink, a Sex on the Beach and it cost us $4

• by Steve

One of the biggest reasons I don’t like going to clubs is the fact they always seem to play the same Hip Hop music that might entertain a younger crowd but just makes no sense to those of us who grew up during a different time. What really makes no sense is when you have two clubs in the exact same building playing the same music. MVP Sports Bar & Grill, located in downtown Beaver Dam, WI is a perfect example of this. When the bar opened up in the lower half of the building, below Club 208, we assumed it would be something a bit different. After all, it’s a Bar & Grill, not a club. So, when my wife and I decided to go out last weekend with friends, that was where we chose to go.

What a joke. First of all, Bar & Grill is as far from the truth as possible. This is a club, plain and simple. You walk in, you have a dark room and loud music and people are dancing or just standing around talking. In fact, to my knowledge, they didn’t even

serve food; which I always though you had to do in order to be considered a Bar & Grill.

There’s something seriously wrong when we have to drive out to McDonalds at midnight because we are getting hungry when we are in a place that, in theory, should be able to cook us up a hamburger, onion rings or something. Here’s what I really found interesting about the place. We originally went to Club 208 to wait for our friends to show up. That has the same back entrance from the parking lot as MVP and there are three bouncers at the door. When we went in, we were carded.

And, later, when we walked back up to 208, we were carded again. Yet, the front door, which was unlocked, didn’t have a single person carding anyone and, I have to say there were quite a few people there who looked under-aged. More importantly was the fact 208 was absolutely dead. I think there was maybe a dozen people up there; most of them playing pool. The reason for this is they play the exact same type of music as ...

• MVP downstairs.

Why would anyone want to walk up all those steps to hear the same type of music? You would think that, if they are partnering with each other in some way (which is likely the case considering they share the same building), they would choose to turn each section into something different. Have 208 play the hip hop music and MVP play classic rock or vice versa. That way, you are entertaining the older crowd as well as the younger crowd. Of course, not everything was bad about MVP. For one, I liked the fact they had a whole separate section that was practically deserted but had video games, a pool table and darts.

The nice thing about this area is it was much quieter than the club itself so you could actually sit down and have a conversation without having to scream over loud music all night. If you did want music, you had the option to use a digital jukebox on the wall that played everything from modern music to Elvis and various Disney soundtracks. One thing I liked about that section is, from time to

time, one of the bartenders would actually come visit the tables and ask if we wanted anything from the bar. They would then go and get it. That was kind of nice considering the bar area was crowded and, with just two bartenders, you would stand there for quite some time before you would be noticed.

However, I’m not sure if I would want to buy too many drinks there. My wife got one drink, a Sex on the Beach and it cost us $4. That’s insane. However, I will admit, they offered cheaper alternatives, like $1 jello shots. I guess what I’m saying is, I didn’t have a bad time at MVP Sports Bar & Grill.

But, I honestly don’t think it’s anything different than what you already have in town. I mean, really, if you’re going to have Sports Bar & Grill in your name, you think you would have some theme relating to sports or at least serve food there. I had fun, but I feel like I was misled a bit. Rather than offering something different, MVP is nothing more than a down-stairs extension of Club 208 and it really should be advertised as such.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 59308423120531/k2311a083/8.3.08