IRCTC  » Railway  »
2.5
  • In that situation I decided to buy the ticket online from IRCTC website
  • Many people might have purchased online Tatkal ticket successfully, but as per my experience I would say IRCTC server problem is not a new issue and especially during rush hour like in morning 8 A
  • Hence I recommend that people for whom buying a Tatkal ticket is an immediate necessity should not rely on IRCTC website

• by Subbie

Recently I was planning to come to my hometown from New Delhi (India). As I took the decision hurriedly I didn’t have much time to buy the ticket from the counter. In that situation I decided to buy the ticket online from IRCTC website.

The entire procedure was quite simple. I made my free account in IRCTC website. After logging in at www.irctc.com I was amazed to see that they have all of the options one could wish for while buying a ticket. I went for “Tatkal” reservation early in the morning. Sharp at 8:00 I

was ready to book my tickets with all the required documents in my hand. But alas! The server started freezing and I was breaking my head to see the next page which was about to show me the availability. After 7 minutes (I remember that I was looking at my watch at every next minute) I could see the next page. There I made my choices hurriedly and tried to proceed to the next page; O My Lord it was “Server Failure.” The situation continued for next 22 minutes. When I got back to ...

• the page of availability I could helplessly watch that all seats were gone!

I was madly cursing IRCTC site as my whole schedule was destroyed. Next day I contacted my nearby Railways Travel Agent and paid a high price to book Tatkal ticket for the next day. I do not know how he made it or whether I could do it myself had I tried online on the next day, but I did not want to take any risk of loosing the opportunity to buy the tickets.

Many people might have purchased online Tatkal ticket successfully, but

as per my experience I would say IRCTC server problem is not a new issue and especially during rush hour like in morning 8 A.M. when a huge number of people try to access this site the IRCTC server starts behaving erratically. In such a condition people like me who cannot afford Broadband or high-speed internet connection might not be able to buy Tatkal Tickets online. Hence I recommend that people for whom buying a Tatkal ticket is an immediate necessity should not rely on IRCTC website. Instead they should find alternative means to purchase their tickets.

Hari OM says :

Is it true that if TATKAL ticket is not confirmed through e-ticket on irctc, then irctc refund the money to the account.

Galega says :

Yes, you are not supposed to do journey on e-ticket because of obvious reasons. Hence, if your ticket is not confirmed, it will be automatically cancelled. IRCTC will refund your money within 2-3 days after the cancellation of your ticket.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 44308420461231/k2311a083/8.3.08