Aaron Rodgers  » People  »
  • I know I've written about Aaron Rodgers before and, if you've read those reviews, you know I'm an optimistic fan of his
  • Rodgers, I think, will be a bit less of a gunslinger
  • I don't like seeing quarterbacks run because it creates opportunities for defenders to injure them
  • My point is, if you're a back up quarterback and don't get a chance to play, chances are you're not going to be in the best shape of your life when you get an opportunity

• by Steve

I know I’ve written about Aaron Rodgers before and, if you’ve read those reviews, you know I’m an optimistic fan of his. But, I overheard someone the other day trashing Rodgers and saying the Green Bay Packers playoff hopes are dead because of Brett Favre’s retirement. And, I have to say that’s just not true. OK, Rodgers could step on the field in September and be a total flop. After all, how many first round quarterbacks have been complete failures at the next level? Truth be told, we probably won’t know until he takes that first snap. And, we probably won’t have an idea about how good he is until he gets a chance to start for several years.

I can’t base my opinion on him on anything I’ve really seen on the field. I’ve only seen him play extensively once or twice and only one of those times (against the Dallas Cowboys last season) did

he play well. But here are some things I do think he brings to the team. First, he’s not Brett Favre. Yes, that might be a bad thing in that Favre was a legend.

But, Favre was the face of the franchise and, as such, it was hard for coaches to keep him from taking over games and practically ignoring them. Mike McCarthy did a decent job at that but even he was limited. Rodgers, I think, will be a bit less of a gunslinger; something that ironically might make him a better fit for the offense. I especially like the fact he isn’t trying to be Favre. That’s something former backup Matt Hasselbeck once did when he got the chance to go to the Seattle Seahawks and be a starter.

And, as a result, he ended up on the bench. Rodgers seems to understand he’s always going to be compared to Favre (at least until he shows he can win games) and is being smart and being his own person and playing his own way. Some people might think of that as arrogance. I think of that as the smart way to cope with replacing a legend. Rodgers also seems to have one thing that Favre didn’t have during the later stages of his career; mobility.

I don’t like seeing quarterbacks run because it creates opportunities for defenders to injure them. But, having a quarterback who can run a bootleg and take off on foot rather than pass does force defenses to stay honest. The biggest knock on Rodgers, and a point I’ve mentioned myself, is his injury history. He has played a significant amount of time twice. The first time, he broke his foot in the middle of the game.

The second time, he pulled a hamstring in practice the week after the game. While, admittedly, that has to be ...

• Aaron Rodgers
      of some concern to fans considering Favre played as long as he did without missing a start, I also think it might be blown a bit out of proportion. And here’s why: The thing about football is you can come to camp in great shape but not necessarily in football shape. In other words, unless you’re out there taking hits in camp, playing in a game might be a bit of an adjustment. Rodgers was drafted in 2005.

At that time, he hadn’t played a game in several weeks. And, with the exception of pre-season and the couple games he actually got a chance to play in, he’s spent most of his time on the bench. My point is, if you’re a back up quarterback and don’t get a chance to play, chances are you’re not going to be in the best shape of your life when you get an opportunity. Yes, you have practices. But,

obviously, the starter is going to get most of the reps and, as every fan knows, quarterbacks are off limits in practice when it comes to hits.

Not to mention, you have a player who might do some stretching before the game but may not play a down until the third or fourth quarter (if at all). It’s not logical to assume he didn’t tighten up a bit from sitting on the sidelines. All of this means, when he got the chance to play, he was at a higher risk for injury and it showed. If I’m right about this, then him being able to play and be able to stretch properly before hand plus get extra practice time to condition his body, will help reduce that injury risk. In other words, until Rodgers actually goes out there and does poorly, don’t be quick to write him off.

Who knows, he might bring just the right amount of difference to the position to enable the team to advance to the Super Bowl.

Aaron Rodgers

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 52208419330331/k2311a082/8.2.08