Sony HDR-TG1E Video Camera  » Cameras  »
  • As you all know how compact it is, you would definitely doubt the toughness of the HDR-TG1E video camera
  • I would recommend two hands, but I do think you should come out with a good method to hold the video camera, especially when it's already so small
  • I think overall, as you all know Sony products might be a little over-hyped and priced

• by diatomics

Recently, I came across a Sony product that weighs almost like my mobile phone. What’s even better, it fits right into my pocket so easily. Not forgetting the fact that it’s actually packed with a full high definition (HD) video camera.

Weighing at 300g only, I sometimes forgot that I was actually having a video camera in my pocket. Because you all should know how heavy and bulky a video camera is, especially when you would want to carry it around places, you would end up having to bring a bag along just for it.

As you all know how compact it is, you would definitely doubt the toughness

of the HDR-TG1E video camera. Having a $1999 price tag, it’s actually built for toughness too. It even has a titanium skin together with a hard coat on top of it. I did not have to worry about fingerprint marks left behind by me, it was easy to wipe those marks off and best of all, it’s still scratch free.

I felt that using one hand to shoot is fairly easy, but you would feel that your hands are not very stable and vibrating all the time. I would recommend two hands, but I do think you should come out with a good method to hold the video ...

• camera, especially when it’s already so small. You would also have to get used to using your thumb to zoom around instead of your usual fingers.

Thankfully for this camera, it doesn’t have touch screen functions. I simply hate them actually. It either becomes too sensitive or too insensitive to my liking. Others might think otherwise, but I definitely hate the touch screen sometimes.

This camera has a bad point though. It requires a significant amount of light to shoot around. I tried using it indoors, and the results were really horrible to be honest. I would not recommend you to use it indoors however possible. The good side

would be the face recognition, Sony was really good on that point though

The 2.7 inch LCD is bright, vibrant and detailed, especially when you’re the type who loves good quality images. Although I must admit the LCD already two thirds of the width, but there’s nothing to complain about there actually.

I think overall, as you all know Sony products might be a little over-hyped and priced. But it all goes down to the saying of quality comes with a price. I feel the HDR-TG1E is a good video camera, just that it could have been better on various other aspects, especially when there’s a lack of lighting.

Hisham says :

The difference between Sony HDR-TG1E and Sony HDR-TG3E

John says :

The differences are the resolution. The max resolution for the HDR-TG1E is 2304×1728. The max resolution for the HDR-TG1E is 2304×1296.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 43208418450131/k2311a082/8.2.08