Meet the Spartans  » Movies  »
0.5
  • Normally, I like movies that spoof other movies
  • The problem is, this movie didn't even come close to being funny
  • But, after having a night to sleep on it, I think it might actually the exact opposite
  • After seeing this movie, I really have to say I can't bring myself to recommend it to anyone

• by Steve

Normally, I like movies that spoof other movies; everything from Scary movie to pretty much anything made by Mel Brooks. But, after watching Meet the Spartans last night, I no longer can say I like all movies in that genre. The thing about Meet the Spartans is it had the potential to be a great comedy.

It was centered around the movie 300 and, whenever you are spoofing an action film that has hundreds of near-naked men, you shouldn’t have a hard time. The problem is, this movie didn’t even come close to being funny.

At first, when I was watching this, I said I believed the writers tried too hard and were trying to

make unfunny situations seem funny; in essence, fighting a losing battle from the beginning. But, after having a night to sleep on it, I think it might actually the exact opposite.

I think the writers rushed through the script and really didn’t try hard enough. The reason I say this is, rather than have a movie with one general plot and dozens of jokes scattered throughout at a fast pace, this film actually stuck with only a few basic plot point and kept trying to hammer them home.

The problem is, many of those jokes weren’t that funny to start with and, after seeing them told several different ways, they were becoming even less funny.

• For example, you have the underlying joke that the Spartans had a culture that encouraged homosexuality.

The men high-fived the women but kissed each other and there were various other jokes like that throughout; which unfortunately were the funniest of the movie. Other jokes were just as drawn out but weren’t as funny as that one.

For example, you have the pit of death scene where they start by throwing their enemies in. Then Britney Spears, then Kevin Federline, then some guy from American Idol, followed by the American Idol judges and Ryan Seacrest.

Rather than be funny, the joke really started losing steam after Spears was kicked in and I couldn’t wait until it

ended and the movie would move on. This was also the case during a scene where they were battling by re-enacting the movie “Stomp the Yard.

” Again, this had the potential to be funny; if they would have shown enough to get the point across and moved on. Instead, they spent several minutes showing various dances to the point I was bored, not entertained.

After seeing this movie, I really have to say I can’t bring myself to recommend it to anyone. As far movies like this are concerned, this is by far the worst one I’ve seen.

In fact, it might actually be the worst movie I’ve seen this year. Considering it had plenty of potential, that is the most disappointing thing of all.

Meet the Spartans

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 113107416791031/k2311a0731/7.31.08