White Christmas DVD  » Movies  »
  • It definitely doesn't need to be December for me to watch it
  • This piece ran several minutes and was very interesting to watch

• by Orrymain

“I’m dreaming of a white Christmas!”

Words we’ve all no doubt sung many times. This Bing Crosby-Danny Kaye-Rosemary Clooney holiday classic is one I’ve watched more times than I can count. It definitely doesn’t need to be December for me to watch it.

I’ve owned the VHS for years, since it was first released, but I only just obtained the widescreen collection DVD a week ago. Last night, I sat down to watch it.

Naturally, I smiled, sang, and simply had a wonderful time watching the film. When it was done, I

checked out the special features. Included are two theatrical trailers and a retrospective interview with Rosemary Clooney as she recalled making the movie and working with her co-stars. This piece ran several minutes and was very interesting to watch.

Then I watched “White Christmas” again, this time listening to Rosemary’s commentary. Commentaries come in all types, and this one was different from most I’ve heard in the past. Rosemary really watched the film with us. Though the audio was in and out, sometimes she’d just start singing along with the ...

• characters on screen. Those were the most charming moments I loved the most.

She told a lot of stories about Bing and Danny, how Bing didn’t want to work that hard and how Danny really wanted to be his friend. She spoke about Vera Ellen, who played her sister and Danny’s romantic interest, and was in obvious admiration of her dancing.

Rosemary’s little tidbits were delightful and entertaining and while there were plenty of remembrances to bring the movie home to the viewer, there was a little more silent space in the commentary

than is normal and not as much production detail as is sometimes offered. Perhaps this was because the concept of doing commentary was probably strange to Rosemary, whose career was from another era.

Still, I loved her talking about the blue fans from the ‘Sisters’ number, how Bing and Danny cracked up on the set, and her own difficulties with tambourines. She really told it all from her perspective and how she saw the production.

It’s a great movie, and even without a single special feature, this is worthy of a 10.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 113107415370731/k2311a0731/7.31.08