Disney’s Port Orleans Riverside Resort  » Hotels  »
Disney World Resort Area - Orlando Florida
  • I wouldn't recommend eating there to make a meal out of their food, which isn't very good

• by Nicki

My husband and I took our toddler to Orlando for a 7-night stay at Disney’s Port Orleans Riverside Resort in April of ‘08. Upon arrival this hotel was very impressive. The grounds are vast and beautiful and the buildings recall the south as it would appear a century ago.

However, the buildings look great on the outside, but the inside is another story. This hotel calls itself a resort. I disagree. It is a motel with large and lovely landscaping. All room entrances are outside like a motel, and there is only one building that has an elevator. Let me tell you, if you have small children be sure to ask for a ground floor room, or youo can imagine how fun it is

trying to lug your sleeping child in their stroller up the stairs at the end of a long day at the theme parks.

The rooms’ interiors are simple, not nearly as themed or nice as the outside. Our bathroom floor was filthy. I hated walking barefoot on it and urged my son to leave his pool shoes on while in the bathroom. We saw a cockroach in the bedroom area on our last day, but that probably is typical of FLorida. THe fridge wasn’t very cold either.

The amenities are wonderful and more than make up for the room. Old Man Island, the main water and pool area is fun for kids of all ages. It hosts a water slide and several fountains as well as ...

• a kiddie pool. It is worth spending a day there to relax and rest your feet. Get out there early though, as the chairs are all grabbed up by 10:00 am.

The food at the resort is just ok. There is a food court and a sit-down restaurant. While we never at at the sit down, we did eat at the food court several times. I wouldn’t recommend eating there to make a meal out of their food, which isn’t very good. It is nice however, to grab quick snacks or dessert. Their chocolate cake and cheesecake is worth the trip!

By all means purchase the beverage cup. For $14 dollars a cup, you get unlimited refills on water, soda, coffee, juice and milk throughout your

trip. Alcoholic drinks are served at the pool bar and at the bar inside the lobby. They are quite costly.

Spend some time walking the grounds. This place is huge and has lovely gardens. We discovered 4 more swimming pools other than the main one and heard there was even 1 more we didn’t find. We used the playground area several times, but never did use the fishing spot. If a lot of walking is not an option for you, request your room to be in a building close to the lobby, the heart of the resort.

For pools, landscape and the marina area I give this resort a 9. But I have to give it an overall rating of a 6 because of the shape of the rooms.

Disney's Port Orleans Riverside Resort

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 22907414450531/k2311a0729/7.29.08