Presidential Candidate Barack Obama  » Local news  »
  • Our problem is with Afghanistan, it was NOT with Iraq
  • On this issue, Clinton and Obama were about 90% the same on health care
  • Obama is a minority and I believe it would be incredible to break some of those stereotypes in the minds of Americans, white AND black
  • It's sad and I think Obama becoming America's first black president would break down a few racial barriers as well as inspire other young minorities, and eventually help unite the country

• by Sterling23

I’ve been reading awhile on the internet and I’ve seen a few people mention how they feel Senator Barack Obama is not fit to be President of the United States. Well, I feel different. I feel we need a change from the “norm” so to speak. There’s no such thing as a perfect candidate, but there is a perfect candidate for today’s America and that person is Senator Obama.

First: I want the war to end. Period. I’m sick of turning on the television, flipping to CNN, only to hear about another 2-3 soldiers gunned down or killed from a road side bomb. These soldiers are my age and hearing their stories hits home repeatedly for me. I feel, like others, that this war should not have been waged to begin with. Our problem is with Afghanistan, it was NOT with Iraq. So now, thousands of our young men and women are being killed, injured, maimed, and shell shocked because of it. I can’t in good conscience vote for Mccain knowing he will not stop the war, but prolong it for as long as 100 years according to his own statements. War analysts say that the surge is working and it has, but my biggest problem with Mccain is that he doesn’t frame what a “win” in Iraq is. His obsession with winning has no

frame to it. Maybe a Mccain supporter can enlighten me on exactly what it is he means when he mentions winning in Iraq. From what I see, we are not winning. There is no win to be won. Not with another 9 US soldiers being killed from enemy attacks.

Second: I want universal health care. On this issue, Clinton and Obama were about 90% the same on health care. They only differed on issues as how to go about obtaining universal health care for the country. As Obama has stated, the problem with health care is that people just simply cannot afford it. Growing up in a black household, I can tell you first hand, black people rarely go to hospitals unless they are seriously ill. A lot of that problem has to do with a lack of healthcare and the costly fees associated with being seen in a hospital. As a result, a lot of black men for one get prostate cancer and black people overwhelmingly suffer from diseases such as diabetes. Both of which can either be avoided and/or treated properly with regular visits to see a doctor. Mccain does not want universal health care.

Third: I’m feeling the brunt of the California Budget Crisis as California decides to cut funding from all their State universities. As a result, class sections are ...

• being closed and resources being limited. Someone who could normally graduate in 4 years, would now graduate in 5 or maybe 6 due to the lack of classes being offered. Also, due the budget crisis, thousands of students who would have been accepted to the California State University system before are now being turned away. I feel that is absolutely unacceptable. Obama has said to put money back into the school system of America.

Also on college education, I have friends and family who struggle to pay for classes and the rising expenses of classes. Obama has promised to give students who complete 100 hours of community service, a $4,000 credit. That may not seem like much, but when books are $150 each and classes are over $100 per unit, every little bit counts towards paying for this education, especially since Mccain has promised ZERO dollars to college students in America.

Fourth: Our economy is hurting right now. Everyone is affected by outrageous gas prices and soaring costs of food. With us spending 12 billion a month in Iraq, we cannot “battle” the issues that leave Americans hurting day to day. Bush’s economic policies have been a failure to say the least and Mccain has only sided with Bush on 95% of the issues on the economy. Mccain is the same man who said things

are tough now, but we’re better off than in 2000. Mccain is also for the Bush tax cuts. Right now, those taxes would help the economy. Not to mention, he himself said he needed an education in US economics. Whereas, I feel Obama recognizes America’s addiction to foreign oil and looks towards alternative sources of fuel whether it is improving our electrical grid or exploring nuclear energy as a viable solution. Lastly, Obama has stated his plan for “20% renewable energy by the year 2020″. There’s no doubt in my mind that we’d actually be in the black if we didn’t depend on oil the way we do now.

Lastly: Obama is a minority and I believe it would be incredible to break some of those stereotypes in the minds of Americans, white AND black. I can’t tell you how many black people I’ve come in contact with who are as prejudice or even worse than some white people. It’s sad and I think Obama becoming America’s first black president would break down a few racial barriers as well as inspire other young minorities, and eventually help unite the country. He’s great at bringing people together, he even stated that himself. We need unity in America.

These are the major issues why I’m voting for Barack Obama in the Fall. Hopefully, you feel the same way I do.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 362707413030931/k2311a0727/7.27.08