Michael Shanks  » People  »
  • I've always been very impressed when I've met Michael at various events
  • I don't agree with every decision Michael makes and, in fact, I felt his choice in the last two years of SG-1 (it lasted 10 years) to make Daniel more like himself was not the best choice he could have made
  • Michael Shanks is definitely a ten, but I'm gonna give him a '9' because of the direction he decided to take Daniel and because, as a devoted fan, I had to sit through Megasnake

• by Orrymain

“I came for RDA, but I stayed for Daniel.”

Those words have been spoken many times by fans of Richard Dean Anderson who tuned into the sci-fi series “Stargate SG-1″, but who became fans of the show and kept watching because of a newcomer named Michael Shanks.

A Canadian actor, up until SG-1, Michael had just done a few appearances on TV shows and some stage work. It was his portrayal of “Daniel Jackson” that earned him a long line of very devoted and passionate fans.

We’ve watched Michael go from a slender, long-haired newbie to a muscular, short-haired veteran. While his look has changed, his talent has only grown. Michael is a man who cares about the roles he plays. He asks questions and challenges a script, something that he admits can sometimes get him into trouble. The end result, however, is a masterful list of performances.

I’ve always been very impressed when I’ve met Michael at various events. He really doesn’t care

much about what he’s ‘told’ to do. I’ve seen him ignore the ‘handlers’ who try to get lines moving because he seems to sense a person’s need to have a moment with him. He did it for me, when I first met him.

My mother had just died, and I was a bit of an emotional mess. I’ll never know how he knew, but he took time for me, ignoring the man who kept telling me to move on. I couldn’t — Michael was talking to me and still signing my picture. It’s not just me, I’ve heard this story over and over again. He really tries to do his best for the fans.

One of the regrets I have for Michael is that I’m afraid a good part of the world may never really know who he is. While he stars in a lot of productions filmed in Canada, he only acquired his card to work in the US last year and even ...

• though he said he’d move to the US (such as Los Angeles to be in the thick of the movie world) once SG-1 ended, that hasn’t happened.

I can’t fault him. He really does love his home, and his family is there. He’s also married and has a family. Uprooting them can’t be easy. Still, Michael’s good friend and co-star, the late Don S. Davis told me once that he was always urging Michael to make the move. His wish was for Michael to really get his chance to shine, and the odds are against that happening in Canada.

To anyone who has seen SG-1, Michael is a star. He has a range of acting that is incredible. In one episode, his character was a lifeboat to a dozen other personalities, including an aristocratic sovereign and a young, frightened child. His facial expressions, his eyes, his voice, his every moment brought chills to viewers.

I don’t agree with every decision Michael

makes and, in fact, I felt his choice in the last two years of SG-1 (it lasted 10 years) to make “Daniel” more like himself was not the best choice he could have made. There were many other things he could have explored in his attempt to keep things fresh. However, I admire his work greatly, and he’s a wonderful and kind man.

He’s my #2 all time favorite actor, second only to Patrick Swayze, and I’m proud to say I’m a fan and even happier that I’ve been able to spend a few minutes with him from time to time on those lucky occasions when I was at an event he was appearing in.

Michael Shanks is definitely a ten, but I’m gonna give him a ‘9′ because of the direction he decided to take “Daniel” and because, as a devoted fan, I had to sit through “Megasnake”. Skip that one, and get “Door to Door” or “Escape from Mars” instead. Sorry, Michael, but I love ya!

Michael Shanks

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 522707412970931/k2311a0727/7.27.08