Orville Redenbacher’s Gourmet Popping Corn  » Food  »
  • I've actually spoken with the company at least three times, and maybe more, about this issue

• by Orrymain

For years, I’ve been buying Orville Redenbacher’s microwave popcorn. My favorite is the movie theater flavor, but I also like the butter one. I’ve tried various other flavors; they are always good.

However, in the last year-and-a-half, there’s been a decline in Orville’s popcorn, and it’s really frustrating me. It just doesn’t pop full anymore, and no matter what I do, it’s hit and miss.

I’ve actually spoken with the company at least three times, and maybe more, about this

issue. We figured out at one point that the bags were actually being sealed too tight; another time, it was decided the butter and corn inside the bag were packed too tightly. I finally discovered that if I crumpled the middle section of the bag, dispersing the lodged corn and butter, that I had better results. The representative also suggested loosening the bag somewhat.

While it’s gotten better slightly, this is not cheap popcorn. It’s expensive, and I ...

• really don’t think it’s too much to ask that we are given bags that pop fully. An occasional ‘flop’ doesn’t bother me, but this is something I’ve been going through for almost two years now, and I’ve tried it in multiple microwaves.

Something has changed. Bag crumpling and venting has helped, but I still sometimes get bags that don’t even pop halfway. There are spoonfuls of unpopped kernels remaining, and the bag hardly rises.

My taste rating for Orville is

a 10. My customer service rating is a 9 (they have sent me some free coupons from time to time because of my complaints, and they’ve always been courteous), but the expense of the popcorn is a 6 and the lack of success in getting a fully popped back is a dismal 4. That works out to a 7, but my dissatisfaction and disappointment in what has always been a favorite is forcing me to lower it a bit more.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 272707412910931/k2311a0727/7.27.08