Patrick Swayze  » People  »
  • The funny thing is, the one time I found a photographer who had just told a story about a difficult encounter with Patrick, I thought, 'oh, here's my negative', but he turned it around, saying it was just the circumstance and he actually liked Patrick a lot
  • What was interesting was watching Patrick go from being Patrick Swayze the star to just Buddy, his nickname, a friend
  • He learns every day from life, and that's another reason why I like him
  • While I enjoy Dirty Dancing and Ghost , the movies that made women swoon and scream, I prefer the City of Joy and Green Dragon ventures, the ones that dig deeper into life
  • I know a lot of fans are presumptive and refer to him that way on their own, but I just can't

• by Orrymain

Growing up, I loved the entertainment world. I’ve had a lot of favorites over the years, but I’m very loyal to a core group of celebrities that I liked as far back as elementary school. By 1993, I wasn’t interested in liking or caring about another performer, but my father died that year, and I was searching for something.

I’d always liked “North and South”, the miniseries, and especially the main character of Orry Main. Yes, that’s where my pen name comes from. Though loving Orry, and his friendship with the other lead character, I simply refused to start liking Patrick Swayze, who brought the character to life. I’d seen “Dirty Dancing” once, at a drive in during its final days in theatrical release, and I’d seen “Ghost”, but I wasn’t a fan.

Then I started researching Patrick, really wanting to not like him. At that point in time, I was able to spend a lot of money on memorabilia, and I went to Los Angeles several times a year. Well, I may not have wanted to like Patrick, but I couldn’t help it. The more I learned, the more I liked. I met people who worked with him. I even talked with some paparazzi. The funny thing is, the one time I found a photographer who had just told a story about a difficult encounter with Patrick,

I thought, ‘oh, here’s my negative’, but he turned it around, saying it was just the circumstance and he actually liked Patrick a lot.

I was doomed. I created a website for him and started a yahoogroups to celebrate both Patrick and his wife, Lisa Niemi. Another main reason I had discovered for liking him was his lengthy marriage to Lisa.

I was fortunate to have some contact with one of his assistants for a while and to be half of a team who tried to make a tragic personal time a little better for Patrick and his family. The result was a beautiful, handwritten thank you note from the man that I will always treasure.

Then I was part of a crowd, watching as Patrick and Lisa attended an awards show. He held my hand, and I swooned. Then the ultimate happened.

As part of the official fan club, I went to Houston where a bunch of us were able to just hang out and chat with Patrick and his family during the premier of their dance film, “One Last Dance”. We sat right in front of the Swayze family in the theater. In fact, Lisa was right behind me. Patrick would have been, but he was too nervous to watch and was pacing back and forth in the theater.

After the film, we just hung out and talked. What was ...

• interesting was watching Patrick go from being Patrick Swayze the star to just Buddy, his nickname, a friend. We were all just chatting like we’d known each other forever. I’ll never, ever forget that.

The next day, Patrick and his mom visited with a group of us, just chatting. The two just sat back, teasing and even arguing mildly over his growing up, or whatever. It was so typical of a mother and her son. It made me chuckle.

I was able to meet Patrick one more time, after his performance in “Chicago” in Los Angeles. Again, just the nicest man.

Patrick Swayze is an amazing talent. He learns from every role he’s ever done. He learns every day from life, and that’s another reason why I like him. He tries, so hard, to be his best, on screen and off screen. When he went to Calcutta to shoot “City of Joy”, he was so changed spiritually that he couldn’t act for a year.

This is the man I admire, the one who takes things to heart. While I enjoy “Dirty Dancing” and “Ghost”, the movies that made women swoon and scream, I prefer the “City of Joy” and “Green Dragon” ventures, the ones that dig deeper into life. Of course, my sentimental favorite will always be “North and South” with “One Last Dance” a very close second.

Many people

mistakenly believe Patrick’s career has stalled. Every time he shows up in something, they talk about a comeback. Those people, professional and otherwise, couldn’t be more wrong. Patrick is doing what he loves, choosing roles that are different and challenge him. He and Lisa have always been a huge supporter of independent movies. Being financially secure, he’s able to work on those almost exclusively, and that is what he’s doing. He never wanted to be just a romantic idol. That’s why his roles are vast in character. There’s only one “Johnny Castle” and only one “Dalton”. It’s like that for all of his wonderful creations.

Patrick is a kind man. It was a honor to visit with him for a time. I think the highest honor I could ever receive would be told to call him ‘Buddy’. I don’t expect that to happen. I know a lot of fans are presumptive and refer to him that way on their own, but I just can’t. It seems an intrusion to me. Maybe some day.

Patrick Swayze — an awesome performer and an even more awesome human being! He’s been my all time number one favorite actor now for fifteen years. More than that, he’s a person of passion and compassion and someone I can truly respect and admire; and I’m so proud of that fact!

Patrick Swayze

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 522307410711231/k2311a0723/7.23.08