Opel Astra 2008 1.6l Easytronic
  • It was very scanty and boring in the cabin
  • Not to forget to mention, I was disappointed by the lack of slot for the closure of the luggage trunk, so in crude weather dirty hands are guaranteed
  • At the moment, the only problem I have noticed, that it can be difficult to go for overtaking
  • But this is a problem for all low-powered engines
  • In my opinion, there is the body roll at high speeds

• by reviewguru

Good day!

Please do not judge me for my feedback strictly, especially for the style of writing the review. Let me start with list of cars I’ve been driving before. So it was the Alfa-Romeo 156 1600cc 120 hp manual, Subaru Legacy (2000y) 2000cc 140 hp manual, BMW 540 4400cc, around 350 hp manual. Then I had absolutely not capricious Toyota Celica (1998y) 2000cc 180 hp manual. Finally, the most favorite and at the same time the most technically not proper car was Subaru Forester (1997y) 2000cc 260 HP manual. I was able to spend around 25000-27000 USD. In this price category there are such cars as Opel, Mitsubishi, Ford, Hyundai, and Chevrolet.

Such options as Kia, Cherry and other Chinese manufacturers for one reason or another were not taken into consideration. And here the fun has begun. Hyundai had improper assembly. It was very scanty and boring in the cabin. In general, the car was not suitable for me.

Chevrolet was not bad, but a complete set which I requested in the sales office (1800cc Auto) I would have to wait more than 1 month and I wanted the car as soon as possible.

I agreed to wait maximum a week. There were more difficulties with Mitsubishi. It is in stock, rides not bad, not bad brakes and has a large main saloon. Appearance is for the amateur, like me. But, there were several cons, particularly very noisy saloon, boring front panel, expensive insurance and spare parts at a price suited to the price of more expensive and higher-class autos. Ford eliminated itself from the list immediately, generally because of the long waiting list for my customization and simply I did not like the appearance.

Decided to stop at Opel. Now about the Opel itself. I have a sedan, 1600cc, 115 hp, easytronic. Since the car was bought recently I can say nothing about the reliability. For the glory of God everything works. I will write those pros, which are present in the car and which attracted me most.

These are ergonomic cabin, high clearance, the high finish and paint coating of the cabin, zinc-coated body and economical engine. Since I am the owner of sedan type, hence the car holds one of the biggest luggage trunks in its class. Not to forget to mention, I was disappointed by the lack of slot for the closure of the luggage trunk, so in crude weather dirty hands are guaranteed. The saloon is rather big, considering my height of 193 cm, I was able to comfortably sit in the seat and there were a lot of space behind me. Relatively noise-proof saloon and quite ergonomical seats. The noise comes mainly from the arches.

Now, regarding the engine. Of course, you will not be able to race at the power of 115 horses, but for sure you will stay in the flow ...

• Opel Astra 2008 1.6l Easytronic
      at a good speed. At the moment, the only problem I have noticed, that it can be difficult to go for overtaking. But this is a problem for all low-powered engines. Also, there is a sport mode, the car becomes faster, but constantly driving this mode is not recommended and therefore the mode is more suitable for overtaking on highways. I cannot say anything bad about the suspension.

It is stabile and the suspension is rather hard. On the other side there is couple of cons. For example, it does not “like” holes in the pavement. In my opinion, there is the body roll at high speeds. Perhaps, it is the time to talk about the main! This is easytronic. For those who are not with the trend, this is the same mechanical shifting but with the electronic clutch.

The difference in driving on the easytronic and automatic gearbox takes place, but it is not significant. It is contained in

that driving uphill with gear enabled you will ride backwards, of course if the accelerator pedal will not be pressed. Moreover, there is an opportunity to switch the transmission in auto mode by pressing the accelerator pedal. On the other side, it can be a weakness that during a prolonged stop (1 - . sec) it is desirable to shift to a neutral shift, since it is still mechanics albeit with automatic clutch, and there is a disc clutch, which (according to the manager who sold me a car) is automatically at a sufficient distance what would not harm the disc itself when pressing the brake pedal. But as I understood from a discussion with the auto professionals considering this fact, the last is not confirmed.

Perhaps, at this point I will conclude with the description of the car, which is (despite all the shortcomings and very nice advantages and technical innovations) a sedan for me for a reasonable price in its class.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 92307410641231/k2311a0723/7.23.08