APX Alarm Systems  » Business  »
0.5
  • I know this to be true because their signs are all over the neighborhood
  • Again, I have no experience with the system itself but the sales tactics were obvious and disturbing
  • In two minutes of internet research, I found numerous news stories and blog posts with concerns about the company's tactics

• by Dianna

Before writing this review, I should tell you that I did NOT sign up with APX Alarm Systems. I am ‘reviewing’ their sales tactics, not their product.

This evening, a very handsome young man showed up on our doorstep and offered to install a security system, which he had already sold to several of my neighbors. I know this to be true because their signs are all over the neighborhood. The package was essentially this: they would install all of the equipment at no cost to me and I would sign a contract

to pay them $45 a month for security services. He was very charming and had an answer to all of my questions. However, I’m not one to sign up for something without a little thought and that’s where the sales pitch really began.

First, he spent some time convincing me that I needed security (even though three police officers live within spitting distance of my house) because mail has been stolen from a couple of mailboxes recently and new apartments are being built close by. The overall tone was that I was going ...

• to need police protection at some point because of the riff-raff moving in. Second, he told me how easy installation would be. His installers were already in the neighborhood and could have the system up and running in 20 minutes. Since it was already 7:30 in the evening, I’m guessing he thought that quick installation would be very attractive since I had three kids in pajamas clearly visible through the door. Third, he told me he would probably be leaving the area by Monday (when I could check with the BBB and
        call my insurance company) and if I didn’t sign up tonight so that his installers could get right to work, I would probably lose out on ‘benefits’ like free remote controls for the system.

Again, I have no experience with the system itself but the sales tactics were obvious and disturbing. In two minutes of internet research, I found numerous news stories and blog posts with concerns about the company’s tactics. I did not and will not sign up with this company and I urge anyone considering them to carefully research the actual security system.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2008. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 412307410561131/k2311a0723/7.23.08